Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2018, 10:50 AM

Children's names

Got used to some strange one's at the school gate but met a Trigger this morning and just couldn't get Trigger from Only fools out of my mind. Wanted to ask if that was who he was named after but when his mum said she had a pony as a child called Trigger I stopped myself asking

Naming your child after a horse ? I sort of understand wanting a unique name but after a horse ?

If you had a child to name today what would you chose ? so many more options now than back when we were having kids.

Mine would be old names I always like the old fashioned names boy could be Albert or George and girl could be Lilian or Priscilla.

What would you chose ?
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2018, 10:58 AM

Re: Children's names

My Great Grandson is Named Finlay which means 'great white warrior' in Gaelic..no doubt in time it will be shortened to Finn which I like too
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2018, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by May ->
My Great Grandson is Named Finlay which means 'great white warrior' in Gaelic..no doubt in time it will be shortened to Finn which I like too
That's a lovely name May.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2018, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
That's a lovely name May.
Thanks Julie,I like it too as it seems to suit Him
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2018, 11:06 AM

I think the names they call their children today are stupid, naming children after Bridges, Animals etc.

For a boy I like:

George, Jack, Thomas, Matthew, Eric, William.

For a Girl:

Ameillia, Amy, Anna, Christina, Daisy, Faith, Katie.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2018, 11:20 AM

My Grandaughter's best friend is called 'Temperance' Tempy for short.

I am glad my grandchildren all have good old Engish names
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2018, 11:31 AM

I'm not keen on the new fangled names much.

My kids are called Anthony, Terry (not Terrence as I don't like that) and Lauren.

My daughter was supposed to be Christina if a girl or Christopher if a boy (no scans in those days, gender unknown until birth) but my sister in law gave birth 2 weeks before me and called her baby Kristi I was not amused. I named my daughter before the advent of the Catherine Tate show and her Lauren character.

My grandchildren are called John, Samantha and Joshua which I think are ok names.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2018, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by May ->

Named after Finn Mac Coul???

Fionn mac Cumhaill (/ˈfɪn məˈkuːl/ F-yun mək-KOOL;[a] Old and Middle Irish: Find or Finn[1][2] mac Cumail or Umaill, sometimes transcribed in English as MacCool or MacCoul) was a mythical hunter-warrior of Irish mythology, occurring also in the mythologies of Scotland and the Isle of Man. The stories of Fionn and his followers the Fianna, form the Fenian Cycle (an Fhiannaíocht), much of it narrated in the voice of Fionn's son, the poet Oisín.
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2018, 12:27 PM

My next door neighbours lad is called Finley and his sister is called Peri

Yes he gets called Finn but in Spanish slang that means Arse

Peri was called that because it is easy for the Spanish to say her mother had no idea it was from Greek Mythology till I told her
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2018, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Vaniy ->
My next door neighbours lad is called Finley and his sister is called Peri

Yes he gets called Finn but in Spanish slang that means Arse

Peri was called that because it is easy for the Spanish to say her mother had no idea it was from Greek Mythology till I told her
I know I shouldn't really laugh but...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top