Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 11:16 AM

What to do with old photos?

I've put this in the 'general chat' because it's not so much about taking photographs as what to do with them afterwards....

I purchased a new up-to-date computer the other day and was transfering all my stuff from the old one on to the new one. Among my 'Stuff' was hundreds of photographs taken over the years and I realised that I have rarely visited them. The majority are holiday photos, from years ago.

My daughter will have a devil of a job to sort them out after I've shuffled off to God knows where...I remember that after losing my parents back in 2009 I had the unenviable task of sorting through all of their photos. Any photo of a scene was immediately dismissed (I didn't have a clue where it was taken) and any with people on who they met on holiday (nope, no idea who they were)....

So is it worth the space keeping photos from previous holidays? If there are people on them who I recognise, yes. But unless the scenic photography is to a high standard why bother....While looking through them, they did bring back a few nice memories though....Perhaps I'll just file them away until this computer needs upgrading.....What do you think?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 11:43 AM

Re: What to do with old photos?

OGF it's not easy to part with memories.

I keep photos from old laptops on one or other portable memory drive. It's a good idea to go through and delete the ones you would not think of printing out.

I have a plan that I will one day go and print out the best ones and put them in an album. After all, if systems eventually change then nobody will be able to see them. At least an album of memories is easy for anyone to access.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 12:06 PM

I transferred lots of old pics onto digital a photo frame and they just appear randomly. A lot of mine were old prints so I had to scan quite a lot but it is a good time opportunity to throw out all the rubbish ones that we leave in the packet.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 12:35 PM

Be ruthless - discard those that you wouldn't ever print .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Be ruthless - discard those that you wouldn't ever print .....
I agree.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 12:44 PM

We have a system of old wooden boxes we keep all the photos in, the kids will only have to lift the lids to find which ones they can throw before looking at if they want. That's most of them TBH. Just one box really needs keeping of their old memories and a few of family down the ages we were tasked with keeping safe.
Another lot in a suitcase are all for Grace when she grows up all Tasha her real mum's memories. All sorted so it's easy for them to see what's what.

That way when we go they chuck stuff out but we can keep them while we are alive as they are not often looked at but when we do bring back so many memories to us.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 12:56 PM

I have a blanket box full of photographs. As you say, what to do with them ?
So I religiously went through them (haven't finished yet) threw away all the old boyfriends, scenes of birds just gone out of sight, etc. plus the negatives and have divided them equally between my three children (adults) They don't know this, but each box is labelled for, as and when.

I find the digital pictures very disappointing for the future generations. I enjoy looking at pictures of my grandmother and gt. aunts ,uncles etc., it gives a sense of belonging and I feel that our next generation won't have any record or who their ancestors were. That in my opinion, with all the family history buzz, is a great shame.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 01:59 PM

That's very true PD and main reason we don't do digital much, well we do but we print them out so we have a hard copy to look at. Digital for me always feels so cold too, nothing as warm as a nice photograph on paper.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 02:35 PM

I have loads of old family photos which I keep meaning to sort but I find the whole thing quite upsetting .
My children will throw them out when I'm gone .
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
That's very true PD and main reason we don't do digital much, well we do but we print them out so we have a hard copy to look at. Digital for me always feels so cold too, nothing as warm as a nice photograph on paper.
Any pics I have received digitally of the grandchildren, each year I make a book for them, so they in the future have some memories of holidays, school plays, parties etc. I do them on Snap Fish and mostly only the smallish books, but they are easy to do , add a few comments, plus a few bits of decoration makes them interesting. Something for their treasure boxes of the future !

https://www.snapfish.co.uk/home?cid=...napfishuk|site

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top