Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 02:54 PM

Re: What to do with old photos?

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Any pics I have received digitally of the grandchildren, each year I make a book for them, so they in the future have some memories of holidays, school plays, parties etc. I do them on Snap Fish and mostly only the smallish books, but they are easy to do , add a few comments, plus a few bits of decoration makes them interesting. Something for their treasure boxes of the future !

https://www.snapfish.co.uk/home?cid=...napfishuk|site
That looks interesting PD I've bookmarked it to look at later. Thank you.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 03:04 PM

I store mine on DVDs in folders dated by month.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I've put this in the 'general chat' because it's not so much about taking photographs as what to do with them afterwards....

I purchased a new up-to-date computer the other day and was transfering all my stuff from the old one on to the new one. Among my 'Stuff' was hundreds of photographs taken over the years and I realised that I have rarely visited them. The majority are holiday photos, from years ago.

My daughter will have a devil of a job to sort them out after I've shuffled off to God knows where...I remember that after losing my parents back in 2009 I had the unenviable task of sorting through all of their photos. Any photo of a scene was immediately dismissed (I didn't have a clue where it was taken) and any with people on who they met on holiday (nope, no idea who they were)....

So is it worth the space keeping photos from previous holidays? If there are people on them who I recognise, yes. But unless the scenic photography is to a high standard why bother....While looking through them, they did bring back a few nice memories though....Perhaps I'll just file them away until this computer needs upgrading.....What do you think?
I have the same problem, OGF. When I got a new PC I transfered all my old pics to it. I also have hundreds. Some are useful for threads but others are rubbish. I did start deleting a lot, but probably should delete more.
I agree about people, those of relatives/friends should be kept, anything else poor quality or whatever delete.
I also scanned a lot of old prints of film photo's from times before digital, those I will keep as they are mostly family, long gone, but most I do know who they were. No idea what my family will do with any after I'm gone, but that'll be up to them. They might just wipe the lot, I shan't be here to worry about that.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 03:16 PM

Ive inherited a box of family photos I become to overwhelmed to look at them.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 04:54 PM

I bought an album and then selected family photos to go into it, so that my children would have some to remember. The rest went to the tip. I do have some on my laptop, but I am ruthless and regularly delete them. Nothing of any value really.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 05:12 PM

Why not post some on here foxy. It will be interesting to see Yorkshire in the 1800's.

Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 05:58 PM

You need a good old fashioned family picture party! Watch and sort together. Hook up your laptop to you television. Break out the beverages and snacks and give it a go when your family is together, OGF.

As for passing along photos to your children, if it's a picture of the sky or landscape without anyone in it - pitch it. In general if it's dead, put it to bed - food, flowers, gifts - all those photos will be boring to the younger set. If it's a photo of you with friends your offspring don't know - pitch those too. Think of what your grandchildren would want to see.

I am with the rest of you that think it's a tragedy that digital photos print in a way that makes everything look dull and lifeless.

Longdogs, I have been using my digital frame and also noticed that my Amazon Firestick will allow me to upload my own photos as a screensaver that rotates through a series of pictures on the television. Has anyone tried this?

This reminds me that I need to set aside about three days to delete all the accidental screen shot photos I have taken with my phone. 43,193 photos of my phone's home screen seems like a bit of overkill.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
You need a good old fashioned family picture party! Watch and sort together. Hook up your laptop to you television. Break out the beverages and snacks and give it a go when your family is together, OGF.

As for passing along photos to your children, if it's a picture of the sky or landscape without anyone in it - pitch it. In general if it's dead, put it to bed - food, flowers, gifts - all those photos will be boring to the younger set. If it's a photo of you with friends your offspring don't know - pitch those too. Think of what your grandchildren would want to see.

I am with the rest of you that think it's a tragedy that digital photos print in a way that makes everything look dull and lifeless.

Longdogs, I have been using my digital frame and also noticed that my Amazon Firestick will allow me to upload my own photos as a screensaver that rotates through a series of pictures on the television. Has anyone tried this?

This reminds me that I need to set aside about three days to delete all the accidental screen shot photos I have taken with my phone. 43,193 photos of my phone's home screen seems like a bit of overkill.
I use a Chromecast and I think that does it too but have not got around to it as yet.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 06:22 PM

To me, photographs are very precious. I used to say, they were the things I would save, in the event of a fire.
It’s difficult to know what to do with online photos, though.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
To me, photographs are very precious. I used to say, they were the things I would save, in the event of a fire.
It’s difficuly to know what to do with online photos, though.
I have kept all the prints from the old photo's I have. Doubt the family will though as they'll not know any of the family ones, all long dead before my kids were born. Sad but true.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top