Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 06:37 PM

Re: What to do with old photos?

What I see on facebook is often very uninspiring. Sometimes over a hundred pics of friends or relatives on their two week holiday on Costa del Sol, many of them in a bar. Who would want to keep that??
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 06:38 PM

My dad used to be meticulous about keeping the family photos up to date in albums, all neatly labelled, year after year...my brother has them all now, we still look at them from time to time...a hard act to follow!

Until we went digital we used to print off ours (at Asda or Boots) the photos we wanted, and I always used the flip books to store them.
I used to get three books in a box...Now I'm not sure you can even buy flip books any longer...

I taught myself to make digital photo books for special holidays and special occasions and have been delighted with the results.
But it's very time consuming and there's always blood sweat and tears before it's ready to order, and I always swear I'll never do another...until the next one!
I've always used Photobox and found them excellent.

Now I'm four years behind

I've decided to do as lots of you recommend, mostly ditch the views and seascapes etc and concentrate on people, with a new digital book for every few years.

Having photos on cds and so on is no good for flicking through and enjoying/sharing, you need an album, you can't beat it.

Remember the old slideshows?? I always fell asleep!!
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I transferred lots of old pics onto digital a photo frame and they just appear randomly. A lot of mine were old prints so I had to scan quite a lot but it is a good time opportunity to throw out all the rubbish ones that we leave in the packet.
Do they still make digital photo frames? I suppose there are aways tablets and iPads.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 07:14 PM

I remember when not everyone could afford a camera and developing was expensive so I'm always loathe to chuck out "proper" prints. I have all my old photos in boxes, all labelled so whoever gets the job of sorting them will know what they're looking at.

As for digital, they're all on 2 different external hard drives (I'm paranoid something will happen and I'll lose them all but don't trust any cloud based storage). Every now and then I go through the new ones I've taken or been sent and put them in the appropriate place on the drives.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 09:53 PM

I've kept very few of the family photos. Random scenes get binned, as do pictures of unknown people who will never get identified now. If my mother doesn't know who they are, I definitely don't, so there's no point in keeping them. It's a bit of a shame I suppose, but junk is junk.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 11:29 PM

Thanks everyone, some excellent ideas here.
I've scanned and converted most of my paper photos into digital format but wonder how long it will be before microsoft invent another type of medium or file type for image storage and the jpeg will become obsolete....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Why not post some on here foxy. It will be interesting to see Yorkshire in the 1800's.

Ha ha ha.....

Unfortunately, some of my older photos haven't lasted as long as I have....
I could dress up in something appropriate Longdogs so as to give the impression of an early nineteenth century Yorkshire resident.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

19-12-2018, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
OGF it's not easy to part with memories.

I keep photos from old laptops on one or other portable memory drive. It's a good idea to go through and delete the ones you would not think of printing out.

I have a plan that I will one day go and print out the best ones and put them in an album. After all, if systems eventually change then nobody will be able to see them. At least an album of memories is easy for anyone to access.
Quite true Annie and It felt bad to destroy photographs that my parents held dear. But they were their memories, and I couldn't place some of the people or locations, in the same way that my daughter won't be able to recognise some of my photos. I think you are also correct, when methods of storing digital images will become more efficient and present methods of storage will become obsolete. Microsoft have a habit of moving the goalposts periodically....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

19-12-2018, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Be ruthless - discard those that you wouldn't ever print .....
I'm afraid you're right Omah. These days we have the potential of creating hundreds of images and film clips, there has to be a way of only saving the ones that might be useful in the future....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

20-12-2018, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
I have a blanket box full of photographs. As you say, what to do with them ?
So I religiously went through them (haven't finished yet) threw away all the old boyfriends, scenes of birds just gone out of sight, etc. plus the negatives and have divided them equally between my three children (adults) They don't know this, but each box is labelled for, as and when.

I find the digital pictures very disappointing for the future generations. I enjoy looking at pictures of my grandmother and gt. aunts ,uncles etc., it gives a sense of belonging and I feel that our next generation won't have any record or who their ancestors were. That in my opinion, with all the family history buzz, is a great shame.
Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
That's very true PD and main reason we don't do digital much, well we do but we print them out so we have a hard copy to look at. Digital for me always feels so cold too, nothing as warm as a nice photograph on paper.
I don't think you can beat thumbing through proper photographs, and I do think that I visited my albums more when they were in hard copy.
Also, you have to physically destroy a paper photo, but one wrong button press and if your collection is not backed up it will be lost in a millisecond....
I've lost stuff this way in the past...

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top