Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 07:53 AM

Re: What to do with old photos?

When an Aunt died recently I was tasked with sifting through all her old photos and there were 100s of them. I felt terrible throwing many of them away it was like discarding her life but none of us had any idea who the people were or where pics were taken....I still feel guilty now about it .

We should all do a bit of life laundry now and then not just with photos I mean generally.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Be ruthless - discard those that you wouldn't ever print .....
I agree, I have digital photo frames and I have printed out a few the rest are kept on my PC for no other reason than they do not take up much space.
I take lots of photos mainly of the local wildlife or my cat Millie.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 11:32 AM

I need to do something with all my photos, including the printed ones kept in a box. I should scan them in to keep digitally, as many of them came from my parents. All prints were kept in a suitcase, and older sis went through them, and divided them up between us 4 siblings.

But I also think many can go onto DVDs, rather than my external hard drives, so they are correctly indexed. Then maybe I should update my Will, or life book, to tell my executors they are free to destroy any they are unfamiliar with. Problem is, photos take up so much digital space.

My sis has dozens of photo albums, taken over the years as her children and GC were growing up. I certainly don’t have room for that type of collection.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 11:47 AM

I keep everything. I don't trust computers and routinely hard copy everything.

I also make comments on the back of old pics.

Portraits of people currently unknown often are identified as your genealogy skills improve. all that's needed is a little detective work
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
I keep everything. I don't trust computers and routinely hard copy everything.

I also make comments on the back of old pics.

Portraits of people currently unknown often are identified as your genealogy skills improve. all that's needed is a little detective work

Trouble is Robert, do I really want to know who my predesesors were, I understand that some of them had very chequered pasts...

But I take your point, and I never destroy some of the old black and white photos that were obviously taken of my family. It might be worth doing some research. I do believe that computers are here today and gone tomorrow, especially the format that we use now...

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top