Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 07:38 PM

Re: Online Spectacles

MC do you have house insurance, some covers personal belongings so worth a check to see if your specs are covered.

As long as you have a prescription for lenses from the optician you can take it anywhere. I know a couple of people who have got their specs from an optician and a spare pair online and been happy with the results.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 08:08 PM

Same as Barry
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Sorry the only glasses I know anything about, are the ones you raise for a toast.
Not sure how it works online.
I don't understand.
Your good health sweetie...
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
I have had Varifocals for years, so I dont see how these could be bought online. The optician goes to great length ensuring the lenses aee marked with dots to ensure that they are correct, they are then sent off to be made. I once went to an opticians and the focal points on the varifocals was wrong, causing me to feel sick and dizzy. I eventually went to another optician who gave me correctly aligned glasses which were fine.

I would not risk buying spectacles without these essential checks. However, I suppose the cheap online ones would be fine if one only needs prescription reading glasses.
The Optician didn't mark your Pupil Distance down correctly or got the pupil vertical heights wrong and that's how the error happened. The lenses had prism induced in them because they would have been a millimetre or two the wrong way. The second optician did it correctly.

Every Optician who doesn't have a lens workshop in their store has to send off and get the lenses ground to prescription and, usually, cut to fit the frame. The finished product is returned to the store to be collected by the customer. It's no different to getting lenses online, really.

I used to run an optical lab where we ground and polished the lenses to prescription and fitted them to the frames, but not many companies can do this on site. Online companies merely save money by not having to pay for store premises and sales staff. They get their lenses like most other opticians do.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
The Optician didn't mark your Pupil Distance down correctly or got the pupil vertical heights wrong and that's how the error happened. The lenses had prism induced in them because they would have been a millimetre or two the wrong way. The second optician did it correctly.

Every Optician who doesn't have a lens workshop in their store has to send off and get the lenses ground to prescription and, usually, cut to fit the frame. The finished product is returned to the store to be collected by the customer. It's no different to getting lenses online, really.

I used to run an optical lab where we ground and polished the lenses to prescription and fitted them to the frames, but not many companies can do this on site. Online companies merely save money by not having to pay for store premises and sales staff. They get their lenses like most other opticians do.
Exactly that's why I said make sure the prescription is written correctly with all boxes filled in as many opticians seem to miss vital distance measurements when they realise you aren't buying from them. Naughty of them. My husband has a lazy eye and has glasses bought on line quite easily because they fill in the prescription correctly.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
The optician measures and fits your glasses, not sure how this works when buying online

Your current glasses should have a series of numbers printed on the arms (although, quite often they wear off) These numbers will tell you the size you need. They have info on this on the sites. Most online shops will also send you several pairs of frames in the post to try out first.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

Your current glasses should have a series of numbers printed on the arms (although, quite often they wear off) These numbers will tell you the size you need. They have info on this on the sites. Most online shops will also send you several pairs of frames in the post to try out first.
You get a prescription so shouldn't need to read that small print. Optician will give it to you if you ask for it.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 12:51 PM

Thank you for all the replies. I do have a problem which started a while back were I was seeing double all the time. The specsavers optician has had prisms put into my lenses which cured the problem so they will not be standard lenses I suppose. I cannot afford to get new glasses that wont be right for my eyes.
Plus the novelty of everytime I see an attractive woman and thinking its twins has worn off now.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

20-12-2018, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Thank you for all the replies. I do have a problem which started a while back were I was seeing double all the time. The specsavers optician has had prisms put into my lenses which cured the problem so they will not be standard lenses I suppose. I cannot afford to get new glasses that wont be right for my eyes.
Plus the novelty of everytime I see an attractive woman and thinking its twins has worn off now.
If you contact glasses direct they may well be able to do that for you. As I said my husbands lazy eye was simple to them.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
You get a prescription so shouldn't need to read that small print. Optician will give it to you if you ask for it.
I have never noticed that. Are you saying that the prescription tells you how wide your glasses are and the size of the lenses?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top