Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 03:07 PM

Re: Online Spectacles

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Thank you for all the replies. I do have a problem which started a while back were I was seeing double all the time. The specsavers optician has had prisms put into my lenses which cured the problem so they will not be standard lenses I suppose. I cannot afford to get new glasses that wont be right for my eyes.
Plus the novelty of everytime I see an attractive woman and thinking its twins has worn off now.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2018, 06:43 AM

For a straightforward prescription then an online supplier us fine, it us only wgen your prescription gets a bit more complex that problems can arise. Good advice given to make sure that your optician fill out your prescription fully as sone will leave out distance between pupil centres which obviously will cause problems.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2018, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I have never noticed that. Are you saying that the prescription tells you how wide your glasses are and the size of the lenses?
The prescription from the optician should show the "PD" distance (pupil distance) somewhere on it. The store will take 3 measurements of the lens holders (vertical, horizontal and widest diagonal point) so the people grinding the lenses get the optimal thickness for the lens in the frame. When the lenses are the correct thickness and correctly polished they trace the spectacle frame with a small machine to get the exact shape. This shape is then used to make sure it fits snugly into the frame.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2018, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by tachyon ->
the prescription from the optician should show the "pd" distance (pupil distance) somewhere on it. The store will take 3 measurements of the lens holders (vertical, horizontal and widest diagonal point) so the people grinding the lenses get the optimal thickness for the lens in the frame. When the lenses are the correct thickness and correctly polished they trace the spectacle frame with a small machine to get the exact shape. This shape is then used to make sure it fits snugly into the frame.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2018, 08:28 PM

I'm going to have to get something sorted soon now. Little Diego had climbed on the back of the sofa to get them of the wall unit again. Now I'm having to use tape to hold them together. Then during the mornings walk I was quite bothered as I could see what looked like a duck in the little river in the park, with something white trapped round its neck. Walked away quickly when I realised it was a plastic bottle with the label all twisted.
Furryanimal
Wales
Furryanimal is male  Furryanimal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2018, 10:49 AM

If you just have a basic prescription you should be ok.Your optician should have given you yours at your last eye test.Not sure how they get bi or vari focals right but I could do with a really cheap spare pair so I might go and find out.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2018, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Furryanimal ->
If you just have a basic prescription you should be ok.Your optician should have given you yours at your last eye test.Not sure how they get bi or vari focals right but I could do with a really cheap spare pair so I might go and find out.
If the prescription is correct they do them same as a normal optician who doesn't make the glasses themselves and sends the prescription off themselves to a company makes them up. Probably same one glassses direct use

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top