Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 04:37 PM

Re: Trust

At Thanksgiving, a young woman in military dress asked me to watch her bags (no reason given) for a few minutes while I waited for a flight in a major airport. I politely declined and explained that it was illegal to ask people to do so. It surprised me that she didn't know better.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 04:44 PM

I personally would not have left my children with a stranger and I think I would have felt uncomfortable saying I would look after them.

How old was the boy and long did the man leave them with you SP?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 05:15 PM

Growing up in a small Yorkshire pit village everybody knew everybody else. All the blokes worked side by side and supped together after work. A lot of the wives worked in the local shops, if you left your door unlocked you would more than likely come home to find a cake on the table that one of the neighbours had baked, or some veg that had been grown in one of the allotments.

Both Mum and Dad worked funny hours, Dad was a shift worker and Mum was a bus conductor. So I spent a lot of time being looked after by anyone who would have me. In those days you could go to any door and be helped, lent a cup of sugar or invited in for a cup of tea with the words "Hello Bob, you're Ellis's son aren't you?".....These things were priceless and are rarely seen today.....
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 05:20 PM

OGF yes what you've written is so true . Community care , each helping each other . It's such a scarey world now .

I live on an estate , where we are in a cul de sac people are smiley , we all say hello take time to chat , I'm lucky , I'll help people out if they need it and I think they would do the same . Isn't it sad we can't trust strangers though . I'm trustworthy but I expect people would not think that if they don't know me

It makes me sad this world
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
OGF yes what you've written is so true . Community care , each helping each other . It's such a scarey world now .

I live on an estate , where we are in a cul de sac people are smiley , we all say hello take time to chat , I'm lucky , I'll help people out if they need it and I think they would do the same . Isn't it sad we can't trust strangers though . I'm trustworthy but I expect people would not think that if they don't know me

I'm lucky too Susan, and also live in a small cul-de-sac, there are just ten bungalows and most of us have been here for the forty years since it was built. We have seen each others children grow up and leave home, and then visit with children of their own.

We have supported each other throughout illness, and helped each other with big jobs (laying drives and carrying bricks) and these people seem more like family than neighbours. I would trust any one of them with my kids, but unfortunately you don't have to wander far before you reach a world of crime and vandalism....
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->

Society changes or, you might say, evolves.
People and families are much more mobile. Move about the country for various reasons. In bygone years, it was not uncommon for several generations of a family to live in the same area, do similar jobs, and socially interact with neighbours drop in for a cuppa, a gossip etc.

We've been in our preset house for twelve years. I walk quite a lot so bump into quite a few of them quite frequently. Social interaction is mostly just a friendly greeting in passing or a little chat.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

20-12-2018, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Society changes or, you might say, evolves.
People and families are much more mobile. Move about the country for various reasons. In bygone years, it was not uncommon for several generations of a family to live in the same area, do similar jobs, and socially interact with neighbours drop in for a cuppa, a gossip etc.

We've been in our preset house for twelve years. I walk quite a lot so bump into quite a few of them quite frequently. Social interaction is mostly just a friendly greeting in passing or a little chat.
Yes, that's spot on Besoeker, the motor car has a lot to answer for. But there's one thing for sure.....We'll never get back to those days. I know, there was some bad stuff, cold houses and smoke filled skies, but I think the baby went out with the bathwater.....
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It's lovely you looked so trustworthy but I am one who wouldn't leave mine with anyone I didn't know, only time I have had to ask someone to watch one was when I had a GP appointment and the boys were the age I couldn't really take them in for me so I sat them with the receptionist for 5 minutes. TBH I don't think they even noticed I'd gone and I sort of thought the receptionist wouldn't rush off with them.

I have had people ask me to hold dog leads while they go into shops which I've been happy to do but I'd not trust anyone to hold my dogs while I was in a shop either.
How things have changed Julie.

Originally Posted by peripheral ->
I remember when Jamie Bulger went missing. The very next day I was in Meadowhall Shopping Mall and well aware of what had happened to Jamie. I was sharp-eyed after that news and spotted two little boys, about 5 or 6 unaccompanied. Out of curiosity, I followed them. They wandered around and eventually made their way to an exit. At this point, I informed one of the Floor Walkers and left him to alert the Meadowhall authorities of the situation. The boys were quickly brought back into the Mall and a short while later reunited with their parents who were frantically searching for them. How could anyone lose sight of their children after what had happened the day before?
Omg how distressing Peri. Let us not forget Madelain McCann.

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Sweetie Pie, that was a kindness that I am sure was appreciated, and it sounds like you met a very nice young man. I can't help but wonder why the man would risk his son's safety with a stranger when there didn't seem to be a real problem presenting itself.

Since many places still don't have family bathrooms, there have been a few occasions in which I was asked or offered to take a young girl into the bathroom (she was able to go into the stall and managed by herself) when a dad was by himself. I was glad to help and popped my head out the door a couple of times to tell him she was ok and would be out shortly.

I am motherly enough that I reminded her to try not to touch any bathroom surfaces
Yes, that was a difficulty for me, when the twins were small.

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I know they aren't popular these days but when Tasha was small we loved reins they meant we had hold of her no matter how she wanted to run away. Don't see them these days but you do see a lot of kids no idea where mum or dad is.
They are most likely illegal or something.

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
I don't think I would trust anyone to look after my little boy, not a stranger.

I did once in the Halifax asked the woman at the Desk to sit with my Mum and chat with her while I was getting some money out of my account, and the Woman did and I was thankful for that.
Exactly, the elderly are also vunerable too. I dis sit with someones Mum a while ago, she had dementia.

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Sweetie, what would you have done if the guy didn't return?
Alerted the Security, to contact the police.

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
At Thanksgiving, a young woman in military dress asked me to watch her bags (no reason given) for a few minutes while I waited for a flight in a major airport. I politely declined and explained that it was illegal to ask people to do so. It surprised me that she didn't know better.
OMG that is certainly a NO GO!!!

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I personally would not have left my children with a stranger and I think I would have felt uncomfortable saying I would look after them.

How old was the boy and long did the man leave them with you SP?
About Eight years Mags.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 08:58 PM

I cant imagine a situation where I would leave one of my kids with a stranger in a shopping centre.... it just wouldn't happen not for me anyway.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I cant imagine a situation where I would leave one of my kids with a stranger in a shopping centre.... it just wouldn't happen not for me anyway.
Nor me, and I had the twins.
It happens though.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top