Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 08:32 AM

Dentist - after extraction

A couple of months ago i had a root canal filling in a back molar , it was an awful experience and during it i asked the dentist to take out the tooth but she said it was better to save it . 4 weeks later the tooth became painful so i was given anti biotics and returned 2 weeks later for extraction .

I was in agony after extraction for 4 days and returned to dentist to be told cavity was infected so on to anti biotics , 3 days later still i great pain i returned to dentist to be told i had a dry socket the dentist filled the socket with a clove wadding , within 10 minutes the pain had eased, the relief was wonderful , since then ive much less pain and discomfort.

Apparantly dry socket occurs when there is no blood clot to protect the cavity , i just wanted to say that should any of you have an extraction and even within 24/48 hours if pain is intense go back to your dentist and ask for the clove wadding it is almost immediate effect .

7 days i struggled , nothing would touch the burning pain of dry socket .

Has anyone else had awful dental issues ?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 08:39 AM

Re: Dentist - after extraction

I had dry socket many years ago after my wisdom tooth was removed, it was as you say so, so painful. I remember him packing it and being so relieved when the pain stopped.

I m glad yours is sorted now, you poor thing suffering for 5 days.

I hate dentists , tooth pain can be just so horrendous.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 08:43 AM

when I had a back tooth removed my dentist referred me to another . Seems they have to take a course on removal of these teeth because of jaw bone damage or summit.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
when I had a back tooth removed my dentist referred me to another . Seems they have to take a course on removal of these teeth because of jaw bone damage or summit.
I had that same experience some years' ago when two extractions were required, my dentist knew there was damage to the nerves in my jaw after a motorcycle accident, so referred me.

There was, and maybe still is, a Dental Teaching Hospital in London, Grays Inn Road I as recall, where I was referred to be put completely out for the procedure. They advised me they have far stronger injections than the regular dentists use and did not really want to completely put me under an anaesthetic, if I would give it a try.

The outcome was two totally painless extractions, far better for me than being completely anaesthetised, which of course carries a risk as with all anaesthetics.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 10:13 AM

Yes, I too remember the pain of dry socket. You put up with the pain because you think it will get better, or is a usual after effect, but then realise nothing you do is going to ease it.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 11:00 AM

I had a root canal years ago and ended up having the tooth pulled out after a week of increasing agony

Since then I always have them pulled out but I ALWAYS get an infection and a dry socket after.

I've got one now needs to come out but I'm putting it off......
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 02:09 PM

Hi everyone , it's an awful pain isn't it . I nearly cried and yet I have a high pain threshold . If I ever have to have a tooth out again I will beg the dentist to fill cavity with clove oil packing because its almost instantaneous relief.

I rang dentist again as I'm not sure what to do as packing is still in the cavity, she said leave it in but I'm wondering how it will heal whilst still packed.

To be pain free this week is such a relief
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 04:39 PM

Oh I feel for you, Susan, I really do. Must have been awful

I had a crown right in the middle of my top row of teeth which fell out last week when I was on holiday but it actually snapped off, leaving part of it in my gum.
Apart from being rather unsightly the teeth either side are really sharp on the edges and keep biting into my tongue when I eat and it's really painful.
I have a new dentist which I'm booked in for on the 12th July but I fear it is going to be very expensive - that's the pain part of it.
I've actually taken out a plan through my Union which sees me pay £11.50 per month but I will then receive all NHS charges back, which isn't so bad tbh.
susan m
DORSET UK

29-06-2019, 06:45 PM

Aww feel for you all who have to visit the dentist and yes Floydy the blinking cost as well for some of you , very expensive . Nicole , make sure you ask for the clove padding next time , poor you . I have another molar right at the back on other side that will have to come out one day as its sensitive and loose , now I am scared stiff .
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 07:32 PM

Sue and I are with Denplan who pick up most of the bills

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top