Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 09:13 PM

Re: Is it any wonder that violence is increasing?

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I agree Zule, I saw an article on the net today about, I think it was Middlesborough? where a bag of heroine can be bought for as little as £5. What the hell!
If drugs are so cheap there really is no hope I fear.

Yes Baz, the sentence needs to fit the crime but our prisons are overcrowded. Only last week my Dad commented to me that he couldn't remember any new prisons being built, the ones we have are fit to burst.

There used to be a prison in the next town to me.
I know two men who were officers there.
Then, in Dec. 2012, the powers that be decided to close it down. It was eventually demolished.
I don't know how many people lost their jobs.

Now, seven years later, work is beginning to rebuild it!

This time it will be a Cat.C prison, housing 1,680 inmates, at a cost of . . . wait for it . . . £253 million.

Had they not demolished the other one, surely they could have built on and revamped it at less money than that?

Not only is this a shocking amount of money to spend, I can't help but wonder if they will ever get the amount of staff wanting to work there, mainly because of the violence again.
Who wants to go to work knowing you are in constant danger every day?

One of the men I mentioned I knew, is a lovely chap, giant of a man, got so badly beaten one day, he cannot ever work again.
That's what it's like for them.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 09:16 PM

Snip –

Yes Baz, the sentence needs to fit the crime but our prisons are overcrowded. Only last week my Dad commented to me that he couldn't remember any new prisons being built, the ones we have are fit to burst.
I cannot remember any new prisons being built either. Perhaps if crimes of violence were given more attention rather than crimes involving not paying Council Tax or similar then there would be more places for those who commit violence. It seems as though these days financial crimes carry more punishment than crimes of violence against the person.

Not enough prisons, too many prisoners inside? Then let them, under strict attention and instruction, assist skilled tradesmen to build new prisons, make them dig foundations, mix cement and carry bricks. It's not as if there are not enough people to do this kind of work, they might also learn something as well. Be that trade skills or simply that it's not easy being in prison!

Of course though the 'do-gooders' would probably oppose anything like that, too much like 'hard labour'! It's the views of these types of people who have a lot to answer for in the way this country seems to have 'gone down the tubes' IMO.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
There used to be a prison in the next town to me.
I know two men who were officers there.
Then, in Dec. 2012, the powers that be decided to close it down. It was eventually demolished.
I don't know how many people lost their jobs.

Now, seven years later, work is beginning to rebuild it!

This time it will be a Cat.C prison, housing 1,680 inmates, at a cost of . . . wait for it . . . £253 million.

Had they not demolished the other one, surely they could have built on and revamped it at less money than that?

Not only is this a shocking amount of money to spend, I can't help but wonder if they will ever get the amount of staff wanting to work there, mainly because of the violence again.
Who wants to go to work knowing you are in constant danger every day?

One of the men I mentioned I knew, is a lovely chap, giant of a man, got so badly beaten up one day, he cannot work ever again.
That's what it's like for them.
I can't imagine anyone would even want to, the pay isn't even all that good and they need danger money and a lot more besides.

I really have no clue what the answer is to stop all this violent crime except for more police and visible police on the beat, yet if that were to happen some people just do not have any respect for police anymore because they know they can get away with it, so..........what else? I fear it is only going to get worse, these stabbings on a daily basis are well out of hand.

What makes anyone even want to put a knife into anyone elses body, it is beyond comprehension.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 09:24 PM

Hi

It is a fact of life.

I avoid violence wherever possible.

I have severe PTSD, I am learning to cope with it.

I am learning to cope with the fact that I cannot save all the Innocents, in particular Women and Kids.

I am learning to cope with the fact that although Human Life is sacred taking action to prevent injury to others, especially those incapable of defending themselves, is not wrong.

I am learning to cope that although I am capable of extreme violence, that does not make me as bad as them.

It is a long journey, but I am getting there.

Hurting and killing people is wrong, I am learning that sometimes there is no alternative and that I should not beat myself up about it.

I have a way to go.

Please bear with me on my Journey.

I am not the nicest of men, I need to learn to live with that.

I am who I am, whenever I see a woman or Child being abused I react.

I am basically a Sexist Arse.

Such is life.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 09:25 PM

There's no future for many of these kids so life is cheap.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 09:32 PM

– Snip –

What makes anyone even want to put a knife into anyone elses body, it is beyond comprehension.
I don't believe it's anything that makes someone want to do that, it's more that there's no satisfactory deterrent for them to even think twice about what they are doing.

My upbringing was strict, in the days when prison was tough and crime was viewed rather differently to how it is today. I know that strict upbringing prevented me from getting into some real trouble in my life. I am grateful for that strictness from a father who cared and in a society that cared too, about what its youngsters got up to.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I don't believe it's anything that makes someone want to do that, it's more that there's no satisfactory deterrent for them to even think twice about what they are doing.

My upbringing was strict, in the days when prison was tough and crime was viewed rather differently to how it is today. I know that strict upbringing prevented me from getting into some real trouble in my life and I am grateful for that strictness from a father who cared and in a society that cared too about what its youngsters got up to.
I wish it were the same today Baz. It's like the world has gone mad and with no law and order. It's a very scary world we are living in today. My Dad keeps telling me he has lived a long time (86) but never, ever known the world like it is today.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 10:05 PM

Just watching a programme on serious traffic offences in Swindon .
The sentences handed out were pathetic .

One arrogant joyrider who stole a car stole petrol and raced all around the town .

As he was only 14 his licence will be taken away for one year

( when he gets a licence )

How rediculous

He wants six strokes of the rotan on his backside like they do in Singapore for such offences
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 10:22 PM

The only Rotan's in Swindon are outside sofa's.

That may need ratifying.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2019, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

It is a fact of life.

I avoid violence wherever possible.

I have severe PTSD, I am learning to cope with it.

I am learning to cope with the fact that I cannot save all the Innocents, in particular Women and Kids.

I am learning to cope with the fact that although Human Life is sacred taking action to prevent injury to others, especially those incapable of defending themselves, is not wrong.

I am learning to cope that although I am capable of extreme violence, that does not make me as bad as them.

It is a long journey, but I am getting there.

Hurting and killing people is wrong, I am learning that sometimes there is no alternative and that I should not beat myself up about it.

I have a way to go.

Please bear with me on my Journey.

I am not the nicest of men, I need to learn to live with that.

I am who I am, whenever I see a woman or Child being abused I react.

I am basically a Sexist Arse.

Such is life.

I want to say that I admire everything you said here Swimfeeders. The fact that you say "I am not the nicest of men" suggests to me that there are many much worse than you. I suspect you have worked hard to achieve your level of self awareness considering the unenviable experiences you must have had. The three words that stand out above all else that you said are "I am learning"..For what it's worth I'll say good on you. Protecting children, people and animals who are more vulnerable than them is the job of every real man.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top