Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 09:19 PM

Re: Are You An Interfering Grandparent Or Relative?

I have two grown children who are independent and now married. I have four grandchildren. Over the years we have had very close contact with the grandchildren - we have child-minded all of them since they were babies and we still do because their mums work. Sometimes it has been a little bit like treading on eggs but I have found tolerance and diplomacy I never thought I had. There have been one or two spats, but we have always managed to overcome our differences. I do get involved when sometimes I shouldn't, but tough - I hope they know I mean well. Am I interfering - I suppose I can be, but I try to be subtle about it and they don't always realise it, or if they do they tolerate me, for which I am grateful. They know I would move heaven and earth for the grandchildren (and them) and in many ways I am also a soft touch and I know they take advantage of me.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I have two grown children who are independent and now married. I have four grandchildren. Over the years we have had very close contact with the grandchildren - we have child-minded all of them since they were babies and we still do because their mums work. Sometimes it has been a little bit like treading on eggs but I have found tolerance and diplomacy I never thought I had. There have been one or two spats, but we have always managed to overcome our differences. I do get involved when sometimes I shouldn't, but tough - I hope they know I mean well. Am I interfering - I suppose I can be, but I try to be subtle about it and they don't always realise it, or if they do they tolerate me, for which I am grateful. They know I would move heaven and earth for the grandchildren (and them) and in many ways I am also a soft touch and I know they take advantage of me.
This reminded me of something my niece said to me a couple of weeks back........."you are a little bossy but I know it is because you love me and you have my interests at heart' Just wish my son thought the same, to him I'm an interfering old busybody who knows nothing
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 10:34 PM

Someone has to stop the Buck, if this were the case generally, this interference would not be an issue.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 10:57 PM

I'm never likely to know, Art.
I have no grandchildren, nor never likely to have.

My son has never wanted children, and the lady he is with now already has grown up kids.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top