Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2019, 03:13 PM

Do you use charity bags which come through your door?

Over the years I have tended to put most of my unwanted items of clothing, books and so on into charity bags always being aware that some of the charities were scams and trying to avoid those. Recently I received an email from our Neighbourhood Watch coordinator warning us about all charity bags and containing the following link:

http://www.charitybags.org.uk/charit...lections.shtml

The date on the link is 2014 but I have no reason to doubt that our coordinator thinks that what is described is still the case or else I doubt he would have sent it.

I hadn't really thought about how much money went to the charity if I'm honest but after reading that I now take all of my unwanted items to a charity shop.

Do you use charity bags? Or maybe you already know about what is in the link?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2019, 03:19 PM

Re: Do you use charity bags which come through your door?

The British Heart Foundation collects from us. Yesterday, it was five boxes. A lot of it is stuff we collected in 20 years of marriage.

We recently moved into a larger house but. paradoxically, there are fewer storage areas so we are slimming down.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2019, 03:23 PM

We haven’t received a charity bag through the door for a few years now .... I did wonder if they had been stopped altogether.

All unwanted clothing is taken to the local Hospice shop, who are always grateful for donations.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2019, 03:30 PM

No, we don't get Charity bags here.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2019, 03:31 PM

My sons gf works for our local hospice, and anything we have for charity goes to them, any charity bags that come through either go straight in the bin, or we fill them full of rubbish and throw that in the bin as well...
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2019, 03:34 PM

Yes,I get charity bags through the letterbox...afraid they go straight into the bin.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2019, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
We haven’t received a charity bag through the door for a few years now .... I did wonder if they had been stopped altogether.
We seem to get quite a number of them Mags - at least one a fortnight and sometimes more. Perhaps we are getting your allocation too ...

I now put them all to other uses.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK

06-07-2019, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
The British Heart Foundation collects from us. Yesterday, it was five boxes. A lot of it is stuff we collected in 20 years of marriage.

We recently moved into a larger house but. paradoxically, there are fewer storage areas so we are slimming down.
We have recently started slimming down too Besoeker with the view to eventually moving to a smaller place - I am now checking out the charity shops in the area.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK

06-07-2019, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Yes,I get charity bags through the letterbox...afraid they go straight into the bin.
Any we received that were not used I used to put out for them to take back when the charities did their collections and they were usually picked up - if not I tried to find a use for them as liners for my kitchen rubbish bin. I shan't bother to return them now though but use them to carry unwanted items to the charity shops I think.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2019, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
We seem to get quite a number of them Mags - at least one a fortnight and sometimes more. Perhaps we are getting your allocation too ...

I now put them all to other uses.
Waste not, want not

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top