Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 10:19 AM

Poison Finger

Yesterday I was applying some ointment onto an insect bite and it occured to me that I always use my middle finger to do this. When I was a child my Mother told me never to apply any ointment or cream using my index finger - it is the 'poison finger' she said - and I never have, even now in my seventies!

Has anyone else heard of this 'poison finger' business? I am now wondering why my Mother called it that and of course it is too late to ask her.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 10:20 AM

Re: Poison Finger

I have never heard of that Margaret. What strange things our parents tell us.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 10:27 AM

I’ve never heard that saying before, how strange
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 10:31 AM

The only thing I can think of is that the index finger and thumb are usually the most susceptible of the hand digits to infections under the nail like whitlows. I have had them on the thumb and forefinger on my right hand just recently. They are the pits and take ages to clear up even with antibiotics. Maybe that's where it came from but that' just a wild conjecture.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
Yesterday I was applying some ointment onto an insect bite and it occured to me that I always use my middle finger to do this. When I was a child my Mother told me never to apply any ointment or cream using my index finger - it is the 'poison finger' she said - and I never have, even now in my seventies!

Has anyone else heard of this 'poison finger' business? I am now wondering why my Mother called it that and of course it is too late to ask her.

Never heard of that one.Margaret...
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 10:52 AM

Many years ago our old herbalist said the same that the first finger (the 'poison finger') should never be used to administer medicines.

At such an early age we didn't question the whys and wherefores especially from someone who was going to make you feel better so like you I still don't know why!

(as kids we did speculate a little and thought mabe it was because we picked our noses with that finger...or scratched our bums

Nice to see an old saying pop up Margaret
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 12:02 PM

Margaret, I only know that finger as Peter Pointer! It’s in between, Tommy Thumb and Middle Tall !
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 12:08 PM

One strange medical condition that my mother mentioned was, ‘The raving stagma’s
Apparently I would suffer from this because I had my hair falling down in the front of my eyes....those were the good old days when I had hair
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
One strange medical condition that my mother mentioned was, ‘The raving stagma’s
Apparently I would suffer from this because I had my hair falling down in the front of my eyes....those were the good old days when I had hair
Is that similar to the screaming Ab Dabs?
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Is that similar to the screaming Ab Dabs?
I believe so, common East of Suez and amongst the Whirling Dervishes of the Ottam Empire, (I read that on a toilet wall at Paddington Railway Station)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top