Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 05:03 PM

Re: Securing your home

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Maybe but I'm not sure if a warning sign just gives them time to plan something better, for instance if they know there is CCTV, they might come back wearing a mask.
Yes, but that won't fool a dog.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
What if they nick your cameras?....

Yes, I suppose the real advantage of CCTV is that hopefully you can identify them yourself or with the help of social media, I mean the police are not interested in that sort of thing. Social media is quite good at identifying the thieves though.
According to a news report only 1 crime in 10 is ever solved anyway, assuming you can get a police officer to even attend the scene of crime.
It would that most break ins are carried out by people local to offence and like you say social media seems to get better results.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Or a landmine? I think you might need planning permission though
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 05:13 PM

True!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
CCTV isn't a bad option and basic wireless battery operated systems are dirt cheap compared to what they were.
I am in two minds about that.
Sure, you can record who has been snooping around with possible ulterior motives.

But are you also advertising the fact that you think you have something worth nicking?
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 05:37 PM

My concern is, if they get in through the back they will have access to the stairs and upstairs. So some sort of catch on the downstairs door needs fitting. But I've never been bothered enough to get it done.

We have one on the inside porch door - next to it.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 06:21 PM

I am in two minds about that.
Sure, you can record who has been snooping around with possible ulterior motives.

But are you also advertising the fact that you think you have something worth nicking?
Many burglaries, it is reckoned, are fuelled by drugs so logically most of us would have something worth stealing if the selling-on price was £10 or £20 for the 'druggies' next fix. They may do considerable damage running into £100s but as long as they can steal something to pay for their drugs that's all these 'no-goods' are concerned about!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

18-07-2019, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Many burglaries, it is reckoned, are fuelled by drugs so logically most of us would have something worth stealing if the selling-on price was £10 or £20 for the 'druggies' next fix. They may do considerable damage running into £100s but as long as they can steal something to pay for their drugs that's all these 'no-goods' are concerned about!
I'm sure you are right.
But would they pick a property guarded by a big dog or drop in in a few houses down with no dog and no CCTV? A softer target?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 07:19 PM

I'm sure you are right.
But would they pick a property guarded by a big dog or drop in in a few houses down with no dog and no CCTV? A softer target?
Yes, I agree with you on that. That's the same principle with our cars. I guess the ultimate answer is to somehow stop this happening in the first place, no idea of how that could be accomplished as it's so rife nowadays.

We work hard to get what we have and these 'no-goods' just believe they can take what they want, when they want.

Dealing properly with the drug and alcohol problems plus proper sentences for those caught breaking into our houses and cars would be a start. The one thing that applies to everything nowadays is that there are no real consequences for these criminals. That is of course, if they are ever caught and convicted!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 07:34 PM

I've had a quote for a new side fence, I only need 2 6ft panels and one gate and he's quoted me almost £500! I can't afford that so unless I can find someone a lot cheaper I'll have to make do and put on a new lock and bolt on the gate.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top