Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 07:27 PM

Do You Ever Feel You Are Living In The Wrong Century?

Since getting a new microwave, l have realised, l am still living in another century!
The microwave demands the weight for jacket potatoes must be in metric measurements. The thing is, l don’t do metric, l prefer pounds and ounces! Why should l change from what l know?

I thought, l might get another car but l don’t like air conditioning! I want a sun roof!
‘You don’t like air conditioning?’ The salesman, asks in utter astonishment! No, l think l’m allergic to it!’ Then there’s silence!

There are other things that l think, l am living in the wrong century. A time when things were simpler. A time when things were quicker. Everything, these days seems to become a task and so drawn out!

What about you? Are you fitting into the 21st Century or do you prefer it as it was before?
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 07:35 PM

Re: Do You Ever Feel You Are Living In The Wrong Century?

All the time, sending us all doolally.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 07:43 PM

I loved the 20th century with a passion, but I don't want to turn back the clock, I want to FFW.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 07:46 PM

BTW ...

Mike yer pots on high for 10 mins. Crisp them in the oven for a further 10 mins.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 07:51 PM

Not necessarily in the wrong century but the conversion tables from metric to imperial and the reverse of that do get a bashing!

The only other problem with that can be that the realisation of how much everything actually costs today (in 'real' money). Take petrol (diesel in my case) £135.9 per litre today equates to, wait for it – £6.17.8 a gallon!

I remember when I could fill my motorcycle tank and buy 20 Senior Service cigarettes for less than a £1! That was in 1963 though, perhaps the world has changed somewhat. Maybe I need to catch up or perhaps the world could stop so I can get off!

Apart from that it's still a real pain having to double check everything measured or weighed.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 07:59 PM

Do You Ever Feel You Are Living In The Wrong Century?
All the time Art, I hate buying anything new things are so complicated these days.

I don't bother with the preset thingies on my microwave, I prod the potato with a knife to stop it exploding, set a time, stop it and use my good old last century fingers to squeeze the potato to see if it is soft.
If it is I rub it with oil and stick it in the proper oven to crisp the skin if it is still hard I give it a bit longer
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
All the time Art, I hate buying anything new things are so complicated these days.

I don't bother with the preset thingies on my microwave, I prod the potato with a knife to stop it exploding, set a time, stop it and use my good old last century fingers to squeeze the potato to see if it is soft.
If it is I rub it with oil and stick it in the proper oven to crisp the skin if it is still hard I give it a bit longer
Yes, we are all equipped with the means to check but a lot of people seem to have lost the use of them. Something like 'Use by' and 'Best before' dates on food, we can all use our sense of smell to check quite easily rather than believe these dates. I have seen good food thrown out just because it is 'out of date'. No checking by smell, just thrown out. I am sure some people don't realise it's the supermarkets and producers that set these dates! Now would it be cynical of me to suggest these dates could possibly be just 'slightly' inaccurate?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Yes, we are all equipped with the means to check but a lot of people seem to have lost the use of them. Something like 'Use by' and 'Best before' dates on food, we can all use our sense of smell to check quite easily rather than believe these dates. I have seen good food thrown out just because it is 'out of date'. No checking by smell, just thrown out. I am sure some people don't realise it's the supermarkets and producers that set these dates! Now would it be cynical of me to suggest these dates could possibly be just 'slightly' inaccurate?
I think Meg meant she was checking her baked potatoes to see if they were done Baz.....
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

09-08-2019, 09:12 PM

Skin's the best bit.
CoffeeCake
Northamptonshire
CoffeeCake is female  CoffeeCake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 09:13 PM

Definitely not. I love new technology and new challenges. Life would be so boring if everything staid the same.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top