Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Purple lizard
Somerset
Purple lizard is female 

09-08-2019, 09:24 PM

Re: Do You Ever Feel You Are Living In The Wrong Century?

Originally Posted by CoffeeCake ->
Definitely not. I love new technology and new challenges. Life would be so boring if everything staid the same.
I agree, love how everything's developing. New inventions, ways of doing things, medical break throughs.
I had an eye op last year that couldn't have been done twenty years ago.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I think Meg meant she was checking her baked potatoes to see if they were done Baz.....
Yes, thanks OGF but I did realise that and as mentioned we are all equipped with fingers to allow us to check, exactly as Meg posted that she did. The same with checking 'Use by' and 'Best before' dates. We all have noses and most people could check by using their sense of smell, rather than taking the dates on products as correct, and throwing out good food. That was mentioned as an additional sense some seem have forgotten about!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 09:43 PM

No just watching Outlander makes me glad I'm in this one .
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2019, 12:28 AM

No I don't. Yes I do get very nostalgic for the later decades of the 20th century. The days of my youth like many of us undoubtedly do. The great music of the sixties and 70s. Piles of 45 records all over the living room floor, scattered by you and your friends as you play one after the other and dance all night. The endless days trying to catch the perfect wave and the cafe by the beach that sold real milk shakes and real hamburgers. Not garbage. Summer nights at the drive in movies. Living the dream. But when I look at the lump in my chest in the mirror. That little machine that keeps my heart regular. When I think of the way that a cardiac surgeon can thread a little device into my heart to open up a prolapsed heart vein - while I watch!..That makes me glad I was born right when I was.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2019, 06:09 AM

That's a good reason to be glad Keezoy..

I do the finger test with baked spuds too and I never pre programme stuff ....if I'm not in it doesn't get cooked. If all else fails I read the instruction manual....or I call a man who can
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2019, 07:16 AM

Yes Art I do feel I dont belong in this century . It's just all too fast for me . Take driving , OMG the worlds gone bonkers why does everyone want to overtake even when I'm doing the national speed limit . Metric , how the hell do I work it out I only know lbs ounces and feet and inches . It's like people are talking a foreign language to me .

I got a new TV and freesat box last year and because I dont have an aerial on my roof anymore but a satellite dish which has been there since i arrived in this house i couldn't understand how or why things did and didn't work , so please everyone dont try and explain because you'll be talking another language to me .

Computer speak confuses me . I can manage my Samsung tablet but dont understand what all these app things are and what's not and is running in the background . I can manage my little Samsung J4 mobile phone but sometimes it rings and no matter how I press the green button up or down or swipe it left and right it wont answer so I end up calling the caller back .

Sometimes I imagine myself driving a little old car from the 50s when the roads were quieter and I dont get shouted at or blasted with a car horn just because I am not sure which lane I should be in or some horrible person shouts and yells waving arms because I made a simple mistake .

And oh the days of dialling on an old phone round and round with one finger .

Ah well I suppose I'd better try and understand this world a bit more otherwise I'll just stop driving or become a recluse because it feels safer inside than out
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2019, 07:37 AM

Thank goodness there is someone like me out there susan .
I used to be able to do things with my tv and video machines.
Now if the box goes wrong I have no idea.
The central heating thermostat only talks to my husbands iphone
I can’t even download music on any of my devices and have no idea what’s up on my cloud .
Nothing comes with a manual any more so you have to look it up on the net which supplies loads of impossible and undecipherable solutions .
Driving I came down the M4 yesterday I remember when it was a quiet and pleasant drive .The trip now takes longer due to roadworks ( they are making it smart -will someone tell me what happens when you break down and there is no hard shoulder?) and congestion through sheer weight of numbers.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2019, 07:57 AM

Just a thought...... the gadgets produced these days are often designed to make things easier ( or in my words "make humans lazier ).

There are probably 100 buttons on my TV remote, but I hardly use most if them and have no idea what some of them are for. If you don't use them regularly, when you need them you have no idea which are to change settings , or all the other things they can do, and like it or not, a 3 year old could probably learn & retain the method much better than we can.

Perhaps our age is reminding us that we are no longer as capable as we were, and the longer we are here , things will get worse, not better!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2019, 08:33 AM

Oh yes I forgot

All these blinking TV channels there seem to be hundreds of them yet I only watch 5 .

Muddy- where is the blinking cloud and how does it keep all my stuff safe yet I forget how to find this cloud thing . I cant see it up there or in there or out there and who else can see this cloud oojamaflip and what does it look like .
I've hundreds of photos somewhere out there but they must be floating around because I've forgotten how to find it or them . Then what happens to my stuff and photos when I leave this planet because if I cant find them how else will my kids find their baby photos

Oooh I give up for today
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2019, 08:35 AM

I do think some modern gismos are too smart for their own good, but apart from that I like living in the 21st century.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top