Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 11:38 AM

Re: I received an email this morning

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
One simple rule to remember

THEY ARE AFTER YOUR MONEY
Not necessarily.

It's quite often kids, sad, nerdy types, having a laugh, mucking up peoples computers, just because they can.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 11:43 AM

I'm getting emails from my bank (HSBC) now informing me of things like T&C changes. The difference is .... it's has my name on the email.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Yeah but if somebody can't get you by phone or email, and it's on the level, like the tax department or other government agencies, your doctor, lawyer etc. You should still get a letter.
Doctors and lawyers (who tend to be local) aside, all other "agencies" are switching to electronic communications - letters, like cheques, are becoming obsolete - those without a smartphone or computer will eventually find themselves "out of the loop".
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I'm getting emails from my bank (HSBC) now informing me of things like T&C changes. The difference is .... it's has my name on the email.
Yeah same here d00d, they put my name on and the last three characters of my postcode....(Yorkshire Bank)
Just information though, they never ask for anything from me...
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 05:06 PM

I would have thought the safest way for any organisation to inform their customers via e-mails of changes, to T&Cs for instance, is to e-mail their customer with their name and the last three or four digits of their account number for security. Then refer them to the bank's main website for the details, but without any link. That way, without a link to click on, the customer would not be risking using a dodgy link to any dodgy website, but have to access any changes to whatever it is the bank is contacting them about, via their main website which makes the whole process totally secure.

By far the safest way though, if you have online banking, is for the bank to use the secure document facility on the online account.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Yeah same here d00d, they put my name on and the last three characters of my postcode....(Yorkshire Bank)
Just information though, they never ask for anything from me...
Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I would have thought the safest way for any organisation to inform their customers via e-mails of changes, to T&Cs for instance, is to e-mail their customer with their name and the last three or four digits of their account number for security. Then refer them to the bank's main website for the details, but without any link. That way, without a link to click on, the customer would not be risking using a dodgy link to any dodgy website, but have to access any changes to whatever it is the bank is contacting them about, via their main website which makes the whole process totally secure.

By far the safest way though, if you have online banking, is for the bank to use the secure document facility on the online account.
Those procedures are, indeed, commonplace nowadays .....
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Those procedures are, indeed, commonplace nowadays .....
Yes, all those I receive are now sent via secure the secure document facility on online accounts. An e-mail advising of this shows my name and last four digits of account number.

Additionally I have now ensured nothing to do with banking or credit / debit cards (other than the cards themselves) is sent through the post, it's all online. For some reason my postman cannot get the post to the correct address, although addresses are all printed. Twice this last week I have received post for next door, so the reverse could easily have happened, not any more though. The last thing I want is for neighbours to know anything about my finances.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top