Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Tr1sh
UK
Tr1sh is female  Tr1sh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 06:42 PM

Re: Cake Smash!

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Rarely seen anything so daft in me life.

Who on earth want to encourage their child to eat like that?

With all the red tape to video our kids in school plays nowadays, how come photographers are allowed to film people's kiddies having a bath?

All a bit weird to me, sorry Trish.
No worries.

Perhaps I should have explained more. The baby is my cousin's daughter and my aunt is making the cake. It will be in the garden or conservatory, definitely not in the bath!
Tr1sh
UK
Tr1sh is female  Tr1sh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Hi Tr1sh

I've got a Nikon D40, not used it in years, same generation as the D90.

To capture the action, I would go for ...

Aperture Priority Mode
Auto ISO
Shooting Mode: Continuous
AF Assist Light Off
AF Area Mode: Single
Flash Off

Try out the above settings today in different lighting conditions.

Take bursts of +/- half a dozen continuous clicks, wait a few seconds for them to be written to the card then do the same again.

On the day ....

be sure your battery's charged.

switch to Auto mode on the top dial, take a couple, then switch back to A mode. Auto might be good but it can bring the AF light on (battery draining & distracting), plus it can misfocus.

Thank you so much. I will set my camera up and practice.

I have a D40 too! It was the first one I bought and I still love it.
Tr1sh
UK

14-08-2019, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Two babies well toddler's have had cake smashes in our family...they are good fun....but it seems a waste if a good cake to me
She is a first and long awaited grandchild and her nan is making the cake.

This will be the first time I have seen a cake smash so not sure what to expect but, I am sure it will be fun.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 07:10 PM

I fired up my D40 today for the first time in years. With my 18-135mm ED lens the shots are beautiful, but compared to newer kit, it's heavy and slow, not good in low light.

But like everything in life ... you make the best of what you've got.
Tr1sh
UK

14-08-2019, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I fired up my D40 today for the first time in years. With my 18-135mm ED lens the shots are beautiful, but compared to newer kit, it's heavy and slow, not good in low light.

But like everything in life ... you make the best of what you've got.
Yes, they are cumbersome which is why I haven't used them in so long. I bought a Canon G16 which is much smaller but I still prefer the old Nikons.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top