Join for free
Page 18 of 27 « First < 8 16 17 18 19 20 > Last »
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 04:03 PM

Re: Pies, pies and more pies

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I often wonder where the saying "As American as Apple Pie" originated from.

I know that the famous Bramley Apple was first grown here in England by a young girl called Mary Ann Brailsford between 1809-1813 when she sowed two apple pips and grew the very first Bramley Apple Tree.

So the Apple Pie is ours! LOL.
the first recorded recipe for apple pie was written in 1381 in England, and called for figs, raisins, pears, and saffron in addition to apples
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ica-180963157/

Well you live and learn ... fascinating though isn't it.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by John leave ->
Have you been watching his American 24 hour cleanups of bad restaurants, how are they even allowed to operate, over here we have inspectors that give out star rating so people know how clean a place is and the food is properly stored. In the USA they seem to be able to have kitchens that i wouldent feed my dog from.
Well, there are literally billions of restaurants here and, unfortunately, some people just let them go. Once they're caught, however, the restaurant has to come up to code or be shut down.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by John leave ->
Today's Food Code, like the original 1934 document, is a voluntary set of regulations, not federal law. It's still up to individual states to write their own food safety rules, although most states align their regulations closely with the recommendations of the FDA.

To make things more complicated, restaurant inspections are often conducted by city or county officials, not state regulators. In those cases, it's the local health authorities who write and enforce their own food safety regulations. In Denver, for example, the city is actually older than the state, and it governs itself under the law of "home rule." Food safety regulations are written into Denver's municipal code, but they are updated every few years to closely follow state laws and federal guidelines.
This is all I could find.
Hi John, as others have said, over here any establishment,
Restaurants, Cafes, Pubs, Hotels even supermarkets. Absolutely any establishment selling and serving food has to be inspected and graded, be it seating or take-away, Once they are graded, a certificate is given and must be displayed on the door or in a prominent position on the front window so it can be plainly viewed by customers.

A grading 0-5 depending on the results from a thorough inspection by our Health and Hygiene inspectors, is then awarded to the establishment being inspected.

Grade 0 - Urgent improvement is necessary
Grade 1 - Major improvements are necessary
Grade 2 - Improvements are necessary
Grade 3 - Generally satisfactory
Grade 4 - Good
Grade 5 - Very Good.

Regardless of the result, they must still display that certificate and aim to get a higher grade upon the next inspection.

I personally wouldn't enter a place that didn't display a Grade 5!!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 04:22 PM

Just wanted to add that when my brother built his own Restaurant here, he called in the Health and Hygiene department and they worked alongside him with every aspect of the open kitchen area where every customer could see the chefs at work. My goodness, it cost him a fortune, but... it was the only restaurant that, once they had made their unannounced inspection in their white coats and hats every time, they always sat down and had a meal!!
(they were so strict they used to put cocktail sticks between the tiles on the kitchen, serving and restaurant floors to ensure they had been cleaned properly). Thankfully, they had!!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Yes, it does turn out as an egg custard, but I am not explaining myself properly. I don't make a CRUST. Just put all the ingredients in a bowl, and a crust forms somehow...with a custard filling. I didn't do anything other than put everything in one bowl.
Is this the one, Blue:-

DIVINE PIE

Ingredients

4 x eggs
2oz x butter
1 x cup white sugar
1 x cup desiccated coconut
¼ x cup plain flour
¼ x teaspoon salt
¼ x teaspoon baking powder
1 x teaspoon vanilla essence
2 x cups milk

Method

Put all the ingredients into a large bowl – mix well – then pour into a greased pie dish. Bake in the middle of oven (Gas 375f or Electric mark 5) for about 1 x hour.

When it is cooked – a crust will be on the bottom, custard in the middle, and coconut on top.

Don’t know how it does that – but it does!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 08:11 PM

Bakerman, it is hard (VERY HARD) to get accepted on OFF, you have to fight your way through the mobs day after day, before they finally accept you....hang in there, it gets easier after a while....
I think his problem with me is that he stated things that were simply not true and I called him on it.

Just to be clear, I have no beef with Americans. My wife is one as are my in-laws.

And some of the most memorable meals I've had have been in the USA.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 09:08 PM

Yes, it does turn out as an egg custard, but I am not explaining myself properly. I don't make a CRUST. Just put all the ingredients in a bowl, and a crust forms somehow...with a custard filling. I didn't do anything other than put everything in one bowl.
No, I don't recall ever hearing about any "one bowl" crust and custard dessert.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Is this the one, Blue:-

DIVINE PIE

Ingredients

4 x eggs
2oz x butter
1 x cup white sugar
1 x cup desiccated coconut
¼ x cup plain flour
¼ x teaspoon salt
¼ x teaspoon baking powder
1 x teaspoon vanilla essence
2 x cups milk

Method

Put all the ingredients into a large bowl – mix well – then pour into a greased pie dish. Bake in the middle of oven (Gas 375f or Electric mark 5) for about 1 x hour.

When it is cooked – a crust will be on the bottom, custard in the middle, and coconut on top.

Don’t know how it does that – but it does!
That is IT Silver, you are such a sweetheart, thank you so much. It is now copied..Yes, I remember the coconut on top. Oh it is sooooo delicious and easy as PIE....

Blue x
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 09:24 PM

Never heard of that one before.
It sounds easy peasy and quite nice.... I love coconut.

Thanks Tabby.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 09:27 PM

Any discussion about restaurants in the U.S. being filthy is a flat out lie. The simple truth is that City/County health inspectors would never tolerate such.

It is also true that inspectors can not be everywhere at once and sometimes they do actually catch a restaurant with serious violations. These are promptly shut down and a heavy fine imposed.

That Gordon Ramsey character likely staged his show for a U.K. audience.

Page 18 of 27 « First < 8 16 17 18 19 20 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top