Join for free
Page 19 of 27 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 21 > Last »
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 09:30 PM

Re: Pies, pies and more pies

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Any discussion about restaurants in the U.S. being filthy is a flat out lie.
Did anyone suggest that?
If so, I must have missed it.
Care to elaborate?
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I think his problem with me is that he stated things that were simply not true and I called him on it.

Just to be clear, I have no beef with Americans. My wife is one as are my in-laws.

And some of the most memorable meals I've had have been in the USA.
Thank you for this beautiful post Besoeker, you are so nice to explain and I appreciate that. I love the Americans also, they are my neighbours,

I live in Canada (just north of the boarder), but have spent lots of time in the big cities in the USA...Holllywood, Seattle, SanFrancisco, New York, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, The Keys, Fort Lauderdale, Boca, and many other smaller cities in Florida......been to them all and had wonderful meals in every one of them, but my favourite city is NYCity.

The people I stayed with in Pompano Beach, Fla is a man who is Maitre D in a great Italian Restaurant in Fort Launderdale, but I can't remember the name of the Restaurant.

His name was Joseph Granatiello. I will never forget him and his beautiful wife, who was my best friend for many years. I was treated like a queen there....and HE cooked all the meals. We had crab or lobster any time our little heart's wanted it. Love lobster tails

Thanks again Besoeker....you are a sweetheart...
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 09:36 PM

No, I don't recall ever hearing about any "one bowl" crust and custard dessert.
Bakerman.....see above at Post 178. Silver Tabby found the recipe. Her mom had it.
You should try it Bakerman, it is so good in a "pinch" if you you have to make something fast.

I am going to Beautiful Filly's this week-end. I am going to make that pie for her....
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

21-08-2018, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Never heard of that one before.
It sounds easy peasy and quite nice.... I love coconut.

Thanks Tabby.
Mort, guard this recipe with your life. It is so delicious and no fuss, just mix it all together in a bowl and bake it. You will be shocked how it turns out to be a PIE with crust and everything. Coconut on top. I used to whip up some whipping cream to put a spoon of it on each slice. They loved it...

I LOVE coconut. especiall coconut ice cream, YUM
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 09:46 PM

I'm copying and pasting as we speak!

At this rate i'll have a nice little collection.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Thank you for this beautiful post Besoeker, you are so nice to explain and I appreciate that. I love the Americans also, they are my neighbours,

I live in Canada (just north of the boarder), but have spent lots of time in the big cities in the USA...Holllywood, Seattle, SanFrancisco, New York, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, The Keys, Fort Lauderdale, Boca, and many other smaller cities in Florida......been to them all and had wonderful meals in every one of them, but my favourite city is NYCity.

The people I stayed with in Pompano Beach, Fla is a man who is Maitre D in a great Italian Restaurant in Fort Launderdale, but I can't remember the name of the Restaurant.

His name was Joseph Granatiello. I will never forget him and his beautiful wife, who was my best friend for many years. I was treated like a queen there....and HE cooked all the meals. We had crab or lobster any time our little heart's wanted it. Love lobster tails

Thanks again Besoeker....you are a sweetheart...
Thank you kindly WB.
My job took me all over the world including Canada. From St John's Island to Victoria Island. The variety of seafood was amazing at both extremes. I brought lobsters back with me. I don't quite remember how I got by with that on the flight. It was a long time ago.

One other thing I brought back was chocolates from Roger's chocolate shop in Victoria. To die for.

Alligator steaks in GA were also a hit. Biltong from South Africa. also. A bit like beef jerky.

But you also get the downers. Sheep's brain that I thought was pickled cauliflower.....

There are a few other things from around the world that stick in my mind, not always for the best re
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 10:34 PM

Any discussion about restaurants in the U.S. being filthy is a flat out lie. The simple truth is that City/County health inspectors would never tolerate such.

It is also true that inspectors can not be everywhere at once and sometimes they do actually catch a restaurant with serious violations. These are promptly shut down and a heavy fine imposed.

That Gordon Ramsey character likely staged his show for a U.K. audience.
We have a Chipotle here that sickened more than 600 people. They cleaned the place up and opened it back up the next day BEFORE they even discovered the source of the illness. No fine. The place wasn't shut down. And it's still in operation.

I've never seen anything like it.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
We have a Chipotle here that sickened more than 600 people. They cleaned the place up and opened it back up the next day BEFORE they even discovered the source of the illness. No fine. The place wasn't shut down. And it's still in operation.

I've never seen anything like it.

Yes, that is true. The health dept. came in and did an inspection, but could find no obvious problem. Just to be on the safe side, the health dept ordered the place closed for the day and ordered a sanitary wipe down of all cookware and cooking surfaces. It was not until later that they discovered that some idiot in the kitchen had left a salsa out on a table all night.

The point being that if the health dept could not locate the problem with a visual inspection, the place must have been pretty clean.

In any event, even in the cleanest of places, one dumb employee can sink a whole operation.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

22-08-2018, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Did anyone suggest that?
If so, I must have missed it.
Care to elaborate?
I think he must have me on his ignore list.
I'd be absolutely gutted if that's the case............
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 11:38 AM

Have we discussed Game Pie on this thread?
I see a lot of chit-chat going on!!!!
There are threads for that!!!
My Father used to make Game Pie every Christmas when I was little.

Page 19 of 27 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 21 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top