Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2016, 04:52 PM

Re: Cooking fruit not recommended

Julie darlin' - stewed plums!!! - place plums in saucepan with small quantity of water, add 2 oz caster sugar and heat (NB heat, DO NOT boil, until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Slice in halves and (Gently) remove stones. Place in a shallow oven tray - make sponge mixture and pour over plums. Decorate with some almond flakes - place in oven and cook until sponge is done (when a knife inserted in it is removed 'clean') - Voila - plum sponge pudding - delicious with custard!!!

This recipe can be used for various fruits - apples and pears immediately spring to mind.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2016, 04:56 PM

How odd. I wonder what it is that causes such a reaction and is destroyed by cooking? Fortunately most fruit and veg are OK cooked apart from ,as you say,melon and I would also never cook a cucumber.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2016, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
How odd. I wonder what it is that causes such a reaction and is destroyed by cooking? Fortunately most fruit and veg are OK cooked apart from ,as you say,melon and I would also never cook a cucumber.
It's a reaction to the same proteins that make up tree pollens and grasses and is present in fruit and some vegetables this produces a reaction in mouth and gums but is destroyed in the cooking process.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2016, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
It's a reaction to the same proteins that make up tree pollens and grasses and is present in fruit and some vegetables this produces a reaction in mouth and gums but is destroyed in the cooking process.
Thanks for that.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2016, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Malcolm beat me to it, it's proteins need breaking down, it's lucky I am a vegetarian apparently if I ate meat I would find I reacted to pork lamb and beef too.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2016, 09:37 PM

Thread title should perhaps have been "Cooking Melon Not Recommended".

Cooking fruits is a great way to eat fruit as some have highlighted. Stewing fruit to make compotes is something I do regularly, particularly plums and apricots. Delicious with yoghurt and granola sprinkled on top.

I's sorry to hear about your allergy Julie. Since I ferment vegetables to make things like Saurkraut which is ultra nutritious, I'm wondering if you would be able to eat fermented fruits. In general, fermentation of foods is the most natural and nutritious way to eat them. You would need to research this. I'm wondering if the fermentation process would break down the proteins that trigger your allergy. If so you will have a great new way to eat fruit and a very healthy one to boot !
Mrs Foxtrot
Southern England
Mrs Foxtrot is female  Mrs Foxtrot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2016, 02:43 PM

I think it sad that some people feel they need to question your medical condition Julie. Are you able to eat easy peelers which don't have pips in them? Stewed apples, gooseberries, rhubarb are all very tasty so I hope you can enjoy those.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2016, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs Foxtrot ->
I think it sad that some people feel they need to question your medical condition Julie. Are you able to eat easy peelers which don't have pips in them? Stewed apples, gooseberries, rhubarb are all very tasty so I hope you can enjoy those.
I can eat rhubarb raw but no easy peelers have same effect as pipped fruits.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 03:29 AM

I've never even thought about cooking fruit, usually eat it cold.
Unless it's an apple pie of course.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I've never even thought about cooking fruit, usually eat it cold.
Unless it's an apple pie of course.

Oh you are so missing out on some super 'puddings'!!! - f'r instance stewed Blackberries, blackberry pie/pudding, Rhubarb crumble, stewed rhubarb, and as I have indicated (above) plum sponge pudding - with custard it is a superb pudding!!!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top