Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Marky34
Surrey
Marky34 is male  Marky34 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 07:20 PM

Men’s original towelline socks

I’m loving sorting out my loft and finding stuff that I’d long since forgotten about.

Does anyone remember the original men’s towelline socks which probably came out in the seventies?

I’ve found a bag of black ones and they are unbelievably thick and, to be honest, pretty uncomfortable. They really were made of a towel-like material and I remember that they were a bit of a revelation at the time but I hadn’t realised quite how unpleasant they must have been to wear.

Everyone in the police back them took to wearing them as if they were a gift from heaven! At the time it was them, or football socks!!

Anyone remember wearing them?
Cakeman
Essex, uk
Cakeman is male 

04-02-2021, 09:51 PM

Re: Men’s original towelline socks

i can vaguely remember wearing them to keep my feet warm when i went fishing.... its amazing what you find in your loft.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 09:54 PM

I can assure you that I’ve never worn them!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 11:42 PM

The black towelling socks were dreadful, bits came off them and got stuck between the toes and on the carpets.
Marky34
Surrey
Marky34 is male  Marky34 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
The black towelling socks were dreadful, bits came off them and got stuck between the toes and on the carpets.
Yes, absolutely right. I’d forgotten that!!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 09:33 AM

The thing I remember most is that your feet would sort of slide around in your shoes.
Marky34
Surrey

05-02-2021, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
The thing I remember most is that your feet would sort of slide around in your shoes.
Yes, that too.

If I remember correctly, they used to come in a pack of three... a black pair, a blue/grey colour and a white pair. Because we were only allowed to wear black socks, I’ve no idea what I did with the other colours!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Marky34 ->
Yes, absolutely right. I’d forgotten that!!
Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I bought something similar not long ago to wear with my wellingtons and the loose bits get under my toe nails making them look dirty imagine the shame of being taken ill and rushed to hospital with dirty toe nails

Marky I would put the socks back in the loft and forget about them because all in all they weren't that great
Marky34
Surrey

05-02-2021, 04:36 PM

I would put the socks back in the loft and forget about them because all in all they weren't that great
They’ve gone in the bin!

Not the best reminder of my policing days!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 04:44 PM

Dammit Marky, thanks for reminding me of those socks . Not that I had any black pairs, mind, but I did have white ones to use as sports socks when playing squash. They dropped fluff everywhere as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top