Join for free
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2021, 06:21 PM

Growing long stem roses

I am curious about growing long stem roses. I got to thinking about this while watching a movie where a man gave a woman 2 dozen long stem roses. And I thought to myself, 'Gee, I don't recall ever seeing long stem roses growing in peoples gardens.' Of course I've seen hundreds of rose bushes, just not long stem roses.
Do professional growers need to constantly trim the roses to obtain those long stems ? Or do they grow naturally like that ?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	23ce1531db016733b500652e7176f38e--growing-long-stem-roses-indoor-gardening.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	15333   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l300.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	15334  
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2021, 09:46 PM

Re: Growing long stem roses

Bakerman, there are so many types of roses for all different purposes.

There are heavily perfumed ones, small patio roses for pots, floribunda for clusters of blooms, climbers, ramblers, hybrid teas . . . and long stemmed roses for cut flowers.

You've just got to get the right sort for the purpose.

There's a few here, for starters.

https://www.learningwithexperts.com/...es-for-cutting
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2021, 03:38 AM

Mups, thank you for the link. lovely roses. However I still don't understand HOW ROSES ARE GROWN TO PRODUCE LONG STEM ROSES. Is it necessary to constantly trim the plant ?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2021, 01:22 PM

As I said before, these long stems will be from the Hybrid Tea Roses Bakerman. I believe they then remove side shoots to get all the goodness going into just one stem and bloom.

Here's more info if you fancied a read:

http://downtoearthgardenclub.org/201...stemmed-roses/

I do not grow these florist or exhibition types myself, as I love mine for the colour and perfume.
I have all different size vases to accommodate any size rose, even just a single one.

Hope that helps.
bakerman
Mexico

18-04-2021, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
As I said before, these long stems will be from the Hybrid Tea Roses Bakerman. I believe they then remove side shoots to get all the goodness going into just one stem and bloom.

Here's more info if you fancied a read:

http://downtoearthgardenclub.org/201...stemmed-roses/

I do not grow these florist or exhibition types myself, as I love mine for the colour and perfume.
I have all different size vases to accommodate any size rose, even just a single one.

Hope that helps.
Thank you, Mups. The link you provided is precisely what I needed. So, long story short, it is both the correct selection of a rose that has a tendency to produce a long stem AND constant proper trimming of that stem, cutting away unwanted side buds/leaves etc. moreover, they need to be grown in hothouses and out of direct Sun.
That explains why I have never seen "long stem"rose bushes in other peoples gardens.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top