Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2021, 10:49 PM

Potted daff's.

Can anybody advise me about my daffodils & tulips in pots please?.

When they've died off I just plan on putting them behind the shed & leaving them until they bloom next year.

What I want to know is: Do I cut them back & do I feed them?
macywack
north west, england
macywack is male  macywack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2021, 08:03 AM

Re: Potted daff's.

Just cut the heads off, a good watering and leave them off
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2021, 08:15 AM

I want to use the pots for summer flowers what’s the best way to store the bulbs ?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2021, 08:52 AM

Carol - its best to cut the heads off, water them, and leave them somewhere dry and cool to go dormant (if keeping them in the pots)

Muddy - Store them in a dry, cool place where there is no damp or weather damage over winter, and put them in a veggie bag or some other bag with ventilation.

Also leave the daffs until the entire plant has gone dry and brown, if you cut them down when they are still green, they can't absorb the energy for the next blooming season.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2021, 09:26 AM

Thanks very much Macy & Pixie.

Just one thing I was wondering about - feeding - yes or no?
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2021, 09:44 AM

They get their feed from the leaves die back.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2021, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Thanks very much Macy & Pixie.

Just one thing I was wondering about - feeding - yes or no?
You don't need to feed them when they are dormant Carol, because they have already stored up all their energy for the next flowering season. Its fine if they get wet when it rains (if you are leaving them outside), because that is what happens naturally in the wild anyway. No need for extra care. They are asleep. If you were taking the bulbs out of the pots and putting them away in a ventilated bag in the shed, you wouldn't be feeding/watering them. I love daffodils, such a happy flower!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2021, 11:02 AM

I can’t wait to pot my new bulbs up this autumn. I was late planting anything whilst waiting for the garden to be washed so for the next season I plan on having pots along my clean path. Daffs, tulips and hyacinths.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2021, 11:44 AM

I agree with Pixie on most of this, Carol.

Some people say feed the bulbs just for 6 weeks after flowering (tomorite will do), to make sure all the supplies they have used up are put back into the bulb ready for next years blooms.
The most important thing is though, only remove the dead flower heads N
NEVER the leaves as they send goodness back down to the bulbs.
Only remove the leaves after about 6 weeks or so, or whenever every part of the leaf has turned brown and died, then its safe to cut them off.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2021, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
they get their feed from the leaves die back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top