Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 10:39 AM

Re: My slabs.

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I think you will find ALL creosote was banned back in around 2003/4 Pauline, doesn't matter if it's light or not.

It was banned for amateur/domestic useage because it is harmful to health.

I certainly wouldn't dream of touching the stuff if your dog has to walk on it. Not only does it stink for ages, it'll take the skin off his pads - unless you lend him your slippers!
Creasote is banned but Creacote is v similar and available from places like Homebase. I wouldn't put it on decking. They have special oils and treatments for that. It was advised for fences. But yes you have to put up with the smell until it fades and keep animals away.

What do they pre-treat decking with? I'd use that.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 11:56 AM

I have decided to put creocote on an area of my decking, once it is dry, I’m thinking about the finish and the flaking again, can cause no harm as my decking is wood, I have used many of the recommended stains each and everyone has flaked, if you listen to everyone else, you would never discover what works and what doesn’t work, trial and error, in the garden is how I have learned, I have decking oil in the loft, which I will use on the rest of the deck, I have had my deck for years ,have always looked after it.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 01:19 PM

With creacote I'd advise waiting until a dry spell towards the end of Summer. Otherwise you will be smelling it every time you open a window.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
With creacote I'd advise waiting until a dry spell towards the end of Summer. Otherwise you will be smelling it every time you open a window.

True. And as I said earlier, keep the dog well away as it will burn his paws, let alone what would happen if he layed on it!

Personally, I would never use it to walk on, only for fencing and gates etc.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

04-05-2021, 01:44 PM

I'd only use it for fencing too Mups. I've never heard of it used on decking but decking is a fairly recent thing. Creacote is great stuff for a fence but really really stinks for a long time. Depends on how much you like your neighbours too as to which time of year you put it on
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 01:50 PM

I have to admit to quite liking the smell of Creosote.....not that I would deliberately inhale the stuff, but if I caught it on the wind, I wouldn't be disgusted by it.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I have to admit to quite liking the smell of Creosote.....not that I would deliberately inhale the stuff, but if I caught it on the wind, I wouldn't be disgusted by it.
I love the smell of it as well, I’m off to paint my fence...got to wait for the decking to dry, before I can paint an area...

Decking isn’t recent it’s been down for years in some properties, even the composite decking has been out for a fair while.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

04-05-2021, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I think creocote smells more pungent than creosote. I'm sure creosote smelled nicer. They had to change the formula to take the cancerous stuff out. It's oil based but still bad to inhale when using it.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

04-05-2021, 02:24 PM

Annie, I had to do my own research on it, which I’ve just done, I’m not using it, I’m taking it back and swap it for Cuprinol fence paint..

Creocote is dangerous if inhaled, thanks for the advice, but I had to check it out for myself.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Annie, I had to do my own research on it, which I’ve just done, I’m not using it, I’m taking it back and swap it for Cuprinol fence paint..

Creocote is dangerous if inhaled, thanks for the advice, but I had to check it out for myself.

A much better choice, Pauline - and safer.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top