Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 05:18 PM

Mask 2 Hearing Aid 0

Probably, only those who need to wear hearing aids will be aware of the constant battle between keeping your hearlng aid, in you lug-ole, when taking off your mask.

When I wander round the shopping centre I.ve been used to slipping the mask on, as I go into each shop, and whipping it off as I leave.

A gulp of fresh air, a couple pf gasps, and I'm on my way.

Then I realise my hearing aid has flown away!

On a rainy day, with a cap on, it gets even worse!

They cost, about, 75 pounds for replacement at Specsavers!

Has anyone got a neat fix for this?

Nail it in?, Keep the mask on all the time?, what's the answer?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 05:39 PM

Re: Mask 2 Hearing Aid 0

I wear hearing aids in both ears and I wear glasses so hate wearing a mask as well. I’m forever checking my hearing aids are still there as they are so small and so easy to lose. They were Boots private and were a four figure amount so I can’t afford to lose them. Hearing aids, glasses and a mask is ridiculous and difficult to wear with comfort.

Now I have resorted to not wearing the aids but taking them with me in case I need them.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 06:31 PM

One solution would be to have an extender with buttons, so that you fix the mask loops to the buttons and then slip the whole thing over your head, with the extender at the back of your head. It would just be a strip of strong fabric (two layers, sewn together and turned right way out), and then buttons sewn on either end. Nothing would be looped around your ears at all, so hopefully your hearing aids would stay put.

EDIT: I've just found these on Amazon. Yes they do go either side of the ear, but they're less likely to ping a hearing aid off, don't you think?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extension-A...36871417&psc=1
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 06:40 PM

Or there are these ones:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Ea...037784&sr=8-15

If you Google 'face coverings with hearing aids' you will find quite a lot of extenders or adapted face masks.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
One solution would be to have an extender with buttons, so that you fix the mask loops to the buttons and then slip the whole thing over your head, with the extender at the back of your head. It would just be a strip of strong fabric (two layers, sewn together and turned right way out), and then buttons sewn on either end. Nothing would be looped around your ears at all, so hopefully your hearing aids would stay put.
Sounds like a good idea.

I have a number of non disposable, washable mask. Mrs d00d sews a short length of elastic, connecting loops under my ears.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 06:43 PM

Yes, same principle.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK

18-06-2021, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Sounds like a good idea.

I have a number of non disposable, washable mask. Mrs d00d sews a short length of elastic, connecting loops under my ears.
I’ve made lots of washable masks for Mr B and me, and for other family members - I might make some extenders like that for Mr B cos he never seems to be comfortable with the ear loops, even though they’re adjustable.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I wear hearing aids in both ears and I wear glasses so hate wearing a mask as well. I’m forever checking my hearing aids are still there as they are so small and so easy to lose. They were Boots private and were a four figure amount so I can’t afford to lose them. Hearing aids, glasses and a mask is ridiculous and difficult to wear with comfort.

Now I have resorted to not wearing the aids but taking them with me in case I need them.
I have a hearing aid and I had a problem with a mask. The solution for me is a snood.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2021, 04:19 AM

I don't wear my hearing aids I prefer people to shout or repeat themselves. and it gives my daughter something to whinge about.

As for masks in my area they were only compulsory for a couple of weeks so wearing them has never been a problem - currently they are compulsory for public transport in Sydney for the next 5 days but I haven't been to Sydney since the end of 2019.

My hearing aids were free., or rather, the taxpayer paid for them for which I thank them very much.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2021, 09:36 AM

Thanks for the advice.

I'll be trying some of the ideas.

With Specsavers, it's 75 pounds, to replace a lost one, so worth a try.

Insuring them is another option?

I can't help but wonder what the quality difference is, for those who get NHS freebies, versus those who pay three figures.

My freebies do quite a lot of squeaking & squawking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top