Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2017, 03:36 PM

Re: Retirement.

Originally Posted by carol ->
Perhaps congratulations on a job well done?
Oh well it doesn't really matter, although I suspect the original comment was just a throwaway line.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2017, 03:55 PM

It's good to be able to work in the first place, I love it, think I'll congratulate myself.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2017, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Well said! Explains it all. It congratulates the retiree on finally reaching the age of 'freedom from having to do paid work'.

And congratulations for making it to retiring age, in the first place!
Perhaps you wouldn't appreciate it Tarantula, because you've never had to work since you were a teenager.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2017, 04:13 PM

My husband took early retirement from being a secondary school head teacher, to become a university lecturer. He was also an Ofsted inspector, an exam reviser and education consultant. He would still be doing something of an academic nature now, his greatest love, if his brain haemorrhage hadn't trashed half his brain just over 10 years ago. He would have been highly offended if someone had congratulated him on his retirement, even though he did a good job.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2017, 04:19 PM

Commiserations swims, now you'll watch daytime TV and your brain will rot.

Get off your arse and find a good reason to get out of bed in the morning which doesn't involve logging on!

Is that better?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2017, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
My husband took early retirement from being a secondary school head teacher, to become a university lecturer. He was also an Ofsted inspector, an exam reviser and education consultant. He would still be doing something of an academic nature now, his greatest love, if his brain haemorrhage hadn't trashed half his brain just over 10 years ago. He would have been highly offended if someone had congratulated him on his retirement, even though he did a good job.

Totally irrelevant reply. No one was talking about your husband even.
So you are saying because your husband would have been offended, everyone else in the world should be.

Like I said, you probably don't understand the achievement yourself because you haven't even worked since you were 19 as you told us recently.
No need to begrudge someone else a bit of praise though.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2017, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I get it , I get it because when someone has worked so hard for so long , when work controls their life , when life has flown by and it's been hard , damn hard at times to get to work because of illness , or children , or tiredness or other life's problems , when some like me worked from the age of 14 working shifts around the children , for minimum wage, for a pittance , for horrible bosses who took all they could from you without so much as a Thankyou or kind thought . When some have worked at three jobs to keep a roof over their children's heads and decent food , when children have had to be latch key kids because mum doesn't get home from work will after 6 pm or later .

That's why
Nicely put

My job over the last forty-five years or so has slowly crippled me and I hoped to pack it in last February. I'm determined to give work a rest this year as my knees are finally packing in and what's cemented my determination is that the wife of a friend died just before Christmas from cancer of the spleen which was undiagnosed until it was too late. Seen too many of my mates around my age or younger curling up their toes so I'd best get some life while I still have some.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

03-01-2017, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Nicely put

My job over the last forty-five years or so has slowly crippled me and I hoped to pack it in last February. I'm determined to give work a rest this year as my knees are finally packing in and what's cemented my determination is that the wife of a friend died just before Christmas from cancer of the spleen which was undiagnosed until it was too late. Seen too many of my mates around my age or younger curling up their toes so I'd best get some life while I still have some.

Good for you Judd. Try and stick to that decision this year.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

03-01-2017, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Totally irrelevant reply. No one was talking about your husband even.
So you are saying because your husband would have been offended, everyone else in the world should be.

Like I said, you probably don't understand the achievement yourself because you haven't even worked since you were 19 as you told us recently.
No need to begrudge someone else a bit of praise though.
Keep them coming, more grist to my mill!
Emerald
Yorkshire
Emerald is female  Emerald has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2017, 04:38 PM

Congratulations would have been well in order to my husband should he have lived to retirement age. He did a hard job, outside in all weathers and of course ultimately paid the price, as have many of his colleagues. Not much danger of them claiming lengthy pensions - in fact one of his colleagues claimed only 1 week pension before dying.
So yes, Hearty Congratulations from me. Make the most if it.

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top