Join for free
Page 6 of 10 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2017, 08:40 PM

Re: Pet Hates, Whats Yours.?

What's " uptalk"?
Is it like Bristolian?
Sounds like a "no- brainer" type of jargon, don't like that either!
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2017, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Mums that have adult conversations with their small children but loud enough for us all to hear.
I think it' the way of things now, Lds, my husband went to the bar while we were out having a meal and he was amazed at the length of the conversation between mum and 3 year old over which soft drink she wanted and why!!

We were never consulted when we were kids.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2017, 10:47 PM

Uptalk is where someone making a statement does an upward inflection at the end, so making it sound like a question.

Vocal fry is where people, usually all women, talk in a low, monotonous growling tone. It's like they're straining their vocal chords, hence the expression, I would assume.

It seems nobody wants to talk normally these days.

And the next person standing next to me who asks if 'they can get...' will get 'HAVE! Can you HAVE...!' screamed into their face.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
Nationalists.Just because you happened to be born in a country does not make it superior to others.
You are in good company Psmith.

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all others because you were born in it."
Bernard Shaw
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I hate hearing that 'uptalk' deflected speech, it real grates!
Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Yes!! This is mine and I hate it so much, I've got to the stage where if anyone starts doing it I either look down at the floor 'til it's finished or if it's on TV, I turn the sound off.

So bloody annoying - think it's an Australian thing It's caught on here big time..
Originally Posted by eccles ->
I've got that on my list too. A friend keeps doing it, as if she's expecting me to reply to a question and now I just keep very quiet and don't respond.
Irritates me too.
But in my part of Aus, I hear it very rarely.
One particular TV commentator, an ex-football star, Wally Lewis .
Strangely, he doesn't do it when speaking off the cuff - only when presenting prepared material ???

Also, I worked in Far North Queensland for a year and there, everyone does it.
They then finish every sentence with "eh ?" or even "eh mate ?"
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 09:28 AM

Cars which are completely parked on the pavement so people have to step into the road to pass them. That really bugs me, it is illegal too.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 09:57 AM

Motion detector security lights. Fine in back gardens maybe but these huge 500 watt lamps like the one in use on the house opposite mine..GRRR!! I live at the end of a cul de sac and a lot of vehicles turn around outside my house triggering this light from dusk till dawn. If people feel the need to have one at the front of their property, surely you only need to light up your own area and not the whole of the county? Why not a lower wattage too and cut down on the electric bill? Angle it downwards also and not have it facing horizontally. Rant over.
Emerald
Yorkshire
Emerald is female  Emerald has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 09:58 AM

The complete lack of vocal linguistics of the majority of BBC announcers/commentators. It seems all of them now say 'sickth' instead of 'sixth', and also the lack of ability to say 'nuclear'. I've tried to say it the way they do and find it impossible. Can't even write it!!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 10:17 AM

Bloody cyclists who will insist on riding on the pavement.

Ignorants who walk with their head buried in their mobile 'phone, not looking where they're going.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 11:32 AM

Cell phone users on public transport who feel the need to give a running commentary of their journey.

People who chew gum and expect to engage me in conversation while so doing.

People who spit in the street.

I've got them on my list and they'd none of them be missed !!

Ooops - carried away there - pretend you haven't noticed!!

Page 6 of 10 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top