Join for free
Page 15 of 20 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 > Last »
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 01:15 PM

Re: Now tell me why our police should not be armed.

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
We had a local station Muddy, and it was more like 'Heartbeat' than the 'Sweeney' but I suppose in cities and large towns they wouldn't be so friendly. The younger coppers did have a bit of attitude though, and were best treated with more caution....
We knew our police, and they knew us kids our parents and where we lived.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 01:31 PM

Write a letter to your Chief Constable if you are genuinely concerned. Views expressed on here might get unwanted interest from them.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
https://policeconduct.gov.uk/news/ou...able-use-force

Independent Office for Police Conduct

The police are not going to be paid vigilantes.
BUT THAT IS WHAT WE NOW NEED.

Not so much in the "leafy suburbs" maybe but in towns and cities definitely.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 01:37 PM

https://policeconduct.gov.uk/news/ou...able-use-force

Independent Office for Police Conduct

The police are not going to be paid vigilantes.
It sounds to me that the IOPC is a collection of anti-police criminal defence lawyers. The same sort of people who demand that the Begum woman should be given British citizenship.

I agree that there should be checks on the actions of the police, but at the end of the day my vote would go against the criminal, even if a whole room full of defence lawyers were shouting their four penn'orth in their favour.

You commit a crime - you pay the consequences.

I suggest that if the IOPC successfully defend a criminal and prosecute the police, and that criminal then goes on to commit another crime, the defence lawyer concerned should also be prosecuted. That would make them think very carefully of whom they want to support.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

06-06-2021, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
BUT THAT IS WHAT WE NOW NEED.

Not so much in the "leafy suburbs" maybe but in towns and cities definitely.
Steve Jupp Chief Constable of Suffolk.

Guess not really keen on his view of your suggestions.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
It sounds to me that the IOPC is a collection of anti-police criminal defence lawyers. The same sort of people who demand that the Begum woman should be given British citizenship.

I agree that there should be checks on the actions of the police, but at the end of the day my vote would go against the criminal, even if a whole room full of defence lawyers were shouting their four penn'orth in their favour.

You commit a crime - you pay the consequences.

I suggest that if the IOPC successfully defend a criminal and prosecute the police, and that criminal then goes on to commit another crime, the defence lawyer concerned should also be prosecuted. That would make them think very carefully of whom they want to support.
That's why the do-gooders of so many varities like the IOPC keep doing what they do - because their actions are completely free of consequence!

A few prosecutions leading to costly fines when their actions have proven to contribute towards any detrimental and/or criminal act would soon refocus attention towards the genuinely deserving IMHO.

There are undoubtedly times where the input of such do-gooders could genuinely be described as being necessary but sadly nowadays it does at least appear that all too frequently the only beneficiaries are lawyers and the criminal element, both of whom are only taking advantage of the system for their own gain.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

06-06-2021, 07:28 PM

https://www.police-foundation.org.uk...-new-research/

Launched by the Police Foundation in September 2019, the Strategic Review of Policing in England and Wales sets out to examine how crime, fear of crime and other threats to public safety are changing and assess the ability of the police to meet these challenges, as part of a wider strategic response. This far-reaching independent review, the first of its kind in many years, is being chaired by Sir Michael Barber and guided by an Advisory Board of former senior police officers, politicians and leading academics.

The overall aim of the Review is to set the long-term strategic vision for English and Welsh policing. It will conclude in summer 2021 with a final report presenting substantial recommendations for a modern service capable of meeting the challenges of the 21st century.

More specifically, the Review will consider:

• What the police mission should be, looking in particular at the public’s expectations of the police.
• The capabilities and resources the police service needs to achieve this mission.
• The future police workforce, including the roles, responsibilities, skills and knowledge of police officers and staff.
• How the police service should be structured and held to account, locally, regionally and nationally.
How the police service should work with other sectors to deal with complex social problems.
• How much funding the police service requires and how this should be allocated.

A Key priority. Diversity not the problem, division is.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 07:33 PM

https://www.police-foundation.org.uk...-new-research/

A Key priority. Diversity not the problem, division is.
Oh come on.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

06-06-2021, 08:00 PM

Different views nothing more.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

06-06-2021, 08:19 PM

Different views nothing more.
Not in this case. Diversity IS at the root of this total mess.

Page 15 of 20 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top