Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2021, 06:09 AM

Re: Omelettes

I hate runny eggs ...I always finish off omelettes under the grill. I've never seen an omelette maker before...I might have a look at them.
Teacup
UK
Teacup is female 

04-06-2021, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I hate runny eggs ...I always finish off omelettes under the grill. I've never seen an omelette maker before...I might have a look at them.
I can usually make them in a pan ok, but it's when I go to fold them over they sometimes break. I should probably get bigger frying pans but have no need of bigger generally, as use my enamelled iron skillet for other things.

It's so easy, beat everything together, and pour. This was only £14.99 and doesn't take up much space. I just wipe over with a slightly soapy cloth whilst still hot to clean.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2021, 02:55 PM

I use a tiny frying pan for omelettes or fried eggs, and the former get finished under the grill.

I’m also a fan of cheese, potato, ham, onion. Even peas. Maybe not together. I have even tried herbs.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2021, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Well, cooks refer to an egg pan when it is small enough for an omelette AND it has very SLOPING SIDES.

Usually, such a pan is referred to as a "saute pan". No doubt you have seen videos of cooks shaking the pan and flipping the food. That is a saute pan.

On the other hand, a frying pan has nearly vertical sides. A cast iron pan is a frying pan.

An egg pan is designed that way so the cook can flip eggs without the use of any implement.

Photos of frying pans. Notice the steep sides.
Thanks BM - never too old to learn!
Teacup
UK
Teacup is female 

05-06-2021, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Omelettes are dead easy to make in an egg pan. (the kind with sloping sides).

All you need is a well seasoned egg pan, and a heat proof rubber spatula, and just a little bit of practice.

Heat egg pan just until it is hot enough to instantly melt butter.

Immediately add beaten eggs. As the sides start to set, use the rubber spatula to move edges toward the center of pan. keep doing this until eggs are nearly done.

Add your choice of ingredients and flip one side of omelette over the top of the other side, covering the ingredients. Cook for a few seconds more and flip the entire omelette over. Side omelette on to plate.

Like anything else, it just takes a bit of practice and a good egg pan (NEVER A FRYING PAN).

Tip one key to success is having an egg pan that is not scratched or that has even a tiny bit of dried, stuck on egg. So wash pan but do not scrub it with abrasive scrubber.
Sorry meant to reply, makes sense, as it allows the raw liquid under the outer edges whilst cooking too!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 07:44 PM

By coincidence, l decided to have an omelette for my dinner tonight. If l hadn’t seen the earlier posts, l would have forgotten to put mushrooms in it!
As with scrambled eggs, l always add a little milk to the eggs for omelette.

I thought l needed something else to go with the omelette
So in a separate pan, l stir fried baby sweet corn, mange-tout, two cloves of chopped garlic and soy sauce.

I also had one sweet potato that l cooked like chips in the deep fat fryer.

It was delicious but now l feel a bit ‘ick!!
Teacup
UK
Teacup is female 

11-06-2021, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
By coincidence, l decided to have an omelette for my dinner tonight. If l hadn’t seen the earlier posts, l would have forgotten to put mushrooms in it!
As with scrambled eggs, l always add a little milk to the eggs for omelette.

I thought l needed something else to go with the omelette
So in a separate pan, l stir fried baby sweet corn, mange-tout, two cloves of chopped garlic and soy sauce.

I also had one sweet potato that l cooked like chips in the deep fat fryer.

It was delicious but now l feel a bit ‘ick!!
I always add milk to mine too. Your accompaniments sounded amazing. I'd probably have just put in the oven to roast.
I need to get an air fryer, but just finding a good deal!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Teacup ->
I always add milk to mine too. Your accompaniments sounded amazing. I'd probably have just put in the oven to roast.
I need to get an air fryer, but just finding a good deal!
Teacup, I was going to roast the sweet potatoes and steam the baby sweet corn and mange-tout but it would have probably taken longer to cook.

Costco, keep sending me emails about a Gourmia 5.7L digital air fryer for £49.99. I do feel tempted but l have so many small electric appliances, without another!!
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 01:57 AM

Electric frying pan here and I love omelettes. The other day I had a bacon, cheese, onion, mushroom and tomato omelette with home fries and it was great.
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 09:37 AM

Tortilla, our way makes a very tasty meal.
Cube Potatoes and boil until firm but not soft.peeled or not
Fry in oil of your choice traditionally Olive but it can singe easily
add chopped onions, garlic if you like it, tomatoes and yamon parma or plain chopped ham
chopped peppers if you fancy can be added but not to swamp it
turning it here and there on a low heat throughout until just turn up then
add a 6 egg omelette mix enough for 2 greedy peeps, we cook in two small pans here, when looking almost ready..under the grill for a few seconds before adding grated cheese.....grill until you like the look of it...
Can be served with crusty bread, salad, but fine on it's own

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top