Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2013, 09:55 AM

St. Patrick's Day 17 March

St. Patrick's Day 17 March 2013

THE WEARING OF THE GREEN
WOLFE TONES.

Click Here
http://tinyurl.com/ayeh5rt

Song History: "The Wearing of the Green" is Irish street ballad dating to 1798.
The context of the song is the repression around the time of the Irish Rebellion of 1798.
Wearing a green shamrock and green clothing was considered revolutionary and was punishable by shooting or hanging.

Judy Garland
It's A Great Day For The Irish
Judy sings this amazing song from her 1940 film 'Little Nellie Kelly'

Click Here
http://tinyurl.com/a8fdk32

Just to remind you that The Emerald Isle has many other attractions
Dance of Love
with Bernadette Flynn

Click Here
http://tinyurl.com/b9bcm6w
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2013, 10:07 AM

Re: St. Patrick's Day 17 March

A little known fact: Patrick was actually a Welsh boy that was kidnapped from his homeland and taken to Ireland when it was discovered he could read and write - the rest, as they say, is history
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

06-03-2013, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
A little known fact: Patrick was actually a Welsh boy that was kidnapped from his homeland and taken to Ireland when it was discovered he could read and write - the rest, as they say, is history
That rings a bell, I think I read that sometime ago.
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2013, 02:29 PM

We have a lot of celebrations in the city, will take the bus in and have some fun.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2013, 03:41 PM

I used to go over to Dublin twice a year with my late big brother, one of the times we would go was for St Patrick's Day! I would go with John to the Pro Cathedral for the service there and then we would come out and join our friends in the RC Cathedral! Then the party began We would all go up to a wee bar near the RC Cathedral to drown our shamrock, then go to Meaghers and finish off the afternoon with a sing song. Evenings with our friends we stayed with in Annadale Drive, there was a big party as well Similar to our Scottish Ne'erdy parties Aye those were the days

Thanks for that info, Michael
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2013, 07:23 PM

Jean, I studied at QUB many, many years ago and I don't ever remember St.Paddys day being celebrated - except that it was a holiday. I always felt that it was invented by Americans who thought they were Irish even if they didn't know where Ireland was!

Personally I grew to really dislike the place and was glad to be out of it. I only remember the date because my motorhome insurance is due for renewal on 17th. March.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2013, 07:28 PM

Could it be that you just dont remember - George....
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2013, 09:54 AM

Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2013, 11:07 AM

I was singing away to this Michael - love it....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top