Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2013, 01:40 PM

Re: St. Patrick's Day 17 March

My favourite out of that selection has to be this one...
http://tinyurl.com/d8taat4
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2013, 02:33 PM

Personally, I saw enough of Ireland both from my student days and occasionally on business. I hope never to see it again.

I do like Van Morrison's music, but seeing him in concert is a pretty dire experience.
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2013, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Personally, I saw enough of Ireland both from my student days and occasionally on business. I hope never to see it again.

I do like Van Morrison's music, but seeing him in concert is a pretty dire experience.
That is sad, hope you get to change your view of us all over here in ireland
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2013, 03:18 PM

George matey, I think you're possibly thinking of Ireland as it used to be some 30 - 40 years ago during the 'troubles'. From personal experience Northern Ireland, (and indeed Eire too) has changed for the better and is a beautiful part of the world. Have stayed at a country cottage and a bed& breakfast hotel around the Mountains of Mourne in County Down and it is truly magnificent scenery. More recently have visited and stayed in Belfast and the people there are very friendly and I've had a magnificent time there.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2013, 03:25 PM

You're so right Joe - in fact Ireland has been voted the friendliest place...
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2013, 07:20 PM

You could be right, but my time there coincided with the start of 'the troubles' and I came upon a lot of very 'ugly' people from all sides. My time there has totally poisoned my view of the place and nothing has happened since to change this. I never want to return.

One thing I do recall was the sense of humour. When the plane landed at Belfast airport, the pilot would advise passengers to put their watches back 50 years.

I also recall a piece of graffiti on a wall. It read "No Pope Here" and underneath someone had added "Lucky Pope".
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2013, 08:22 AM

You could be right, but my time there coincided with the start of 'the troubles' and I came upon a lot of very 'ugly' people from all sides. My time there has totally poisoned my view of the place and nothing has happened since to change this. I never want to return.

One thing I do recall was the sense of humour. When the plane landed at Belfast airport, the pilot would advise passengers to put their watches back 50 years.

I also recall a piece of graffiti on a wall. It read "No Pope Here" and underneath someone had added "Lucky Pope".
The Irish sense of humour is well renowned George matey - which is why currently there is a nomination of Ian Paisley to be the next Pope.
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2013, 12:34 PM

As the saying goes,
everyone’s Irish on St. Patrick’s Day.

The best part of celebrating the day
(no, not green beer – get real!)
is wearing the official colour of the holiday

ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2013, 12:38 PM

I used to have a friend that lived in Belfast about 6 years ago and when I was staying with her, I was really taken with Belfast: a beautiful city and the people were so friendly - they lived up to the reputation of Irish eyes smiling (well, what I saw and encountered anyway). I would love to go back one day

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top