Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 04:43 PM

How can we make this place 'more' exciting?

Than the rest of the over50s sites out there? What lets them down? What are they missing? What can we do to make this even more special?
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 05:07 PM

Re: How can we make this place 'more' exciting?

Erm, other than the SagaZone forums, the over 50s places I have seen tend to be too small and therefore run out of steam after a while. Plus, there seems to be a tendency for someone to try for 'king/queen of the board' status.

Ideas to keep this place good/improve it? Well, encourage posters and postings (but I don't know how - I acknowledge that your input is invaluable at present Azz; will you be able to keep up the current rate of posting?), keep the tone friendly and positive, without allowing the place to become just a 'tea and biscuits' site ... add a little 'heavier' material I suppose.
What else? Oh - ensure the technology is as good as possible. You wouldn't believe how bad the Saga system is! Erm, competitions of some sort? Pictures maybe? Not too many changes too quickly. Not too many ads (and no pop-up ones). Regular invitations for members to suggest improvements

I'll think of more later (perhaps!)
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 05:29 PM

Some good ideas there DM

I hate pop-up ads with a vengeance, so hopefully we'll never see any of these on any of the sites I also think ads should fit-in nicely to the design so they're not too in your face - they should be there if people 'want' to click on them, not because you put them right in the middle of the page (like some sites do!)

I don't think we'll get any problems with anyone trying to be king/queen.. cos you're all familiar with the web and won't stand for any of it plus you're all nice people and I can't see anyone trying to get too bossy or anything.

The site will remain friendly and light hearted - it's never meant to be like other 'discussion' forums where people go to debate etc. Of course we'll have some serious threads (like people's health concerns or worries) but on the whole it should be a friendly, chatty site.. I really do want it to be like an online pub, especially because there are so many retired people who don't get out much... and places like this are a godsend to many of them (well that's the plan lol).

I also am thinking about doing some charity work with Age Concern or one of the other charities, to help people get online... and this will be the first site I point them to but I just need to find the time (!). I actually helped a local pensioner do just that a couple of years ago, he was a fellow dog walker and was very glad to get online to 'talk' to his family - a local charity that was offering free PC's to people that qualify - and I helped him fill in the forms etc (he's since moved so I don't know how he's getting on now). But I really don't know when I'll get the time for that :-/

Keep the ideas coming!
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 06:23 PM

I`ve never been on another over-50s site so can`t judge, but what would put me off is too much moaning. Perhaps challenging ideas that we are in gods waiting room would help. Keep it lively.
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 08:36 PM

I've never used another specifically over50s forum but I would suppose that the main problem would be a sort of initial tidal wave of excitement and then a gradual decline in activity ............ if, however new members are encouraged to join in and make their own views and information known then I think the ennui can be avoided. I think the main issue therefore is to attract a steady flow of newbies, to be welcoming and friendly so they stay and contribute.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 09:33 PM

I too have never been on another Seniors form; probably wouldn't have joined one; but as I know you and the other Catsey people thought I'd give it a try. And am loving it. Some excellent comments from DM and Angie, can't think of anything to add. Except a Bravo! to you!
rune
New Member!
rune is female 

09-08-2009, 10:47 PM

We over 50's can't take too much excitement!

rune
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2009, 09:45 AM

I belong to several silver surfers sites much as another person might visit several pubs but only one is my "local" so point one is to encourage people to use this as their local. Also a good site is like a good magazine and needs to develop all its different forums and therefore to discourage everyone from just piling into General Chat. Just my two pen'orth.
madmare
Essex UK
madmare is female  madmare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2009, 11:57 AM

Well Azz if you want to make it that exciting you could always post a video of you doing the full monty

Otherwise I love it
cathy
essex
cathy is female  cathy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2009, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by madmare ->
Well Azz if you want to make it that exciting you could always post a video of you doing the full monty

Otherwise I love it
i was going to suggest an *eye candy* section. where we can post pics of our favorite men or women. nothing too naughty or it could breach rules or something. but a nice topless pic (male of course lol) ill try n seek a pic of my gardener lol (yea i have one of them)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top