Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2013, 12:36 PM

Re: What would you say to a young you

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Without any hesitation, the first piece of advice given would be 'do not get married' - worst decision I ever made (and I made it twice!). I agree with others, the next advice would be 'hone your skills and get a good job that will bring independence. Last piece of advice: be firmer with the dogs and insist they do as they're told every time!
I do agree with you and marriage. However, I think of not giving birth to my children and the impact they have made on life. I wish I could tell my self to ignore my mother's advice about a career and go with what I wanted. This may have meant I didn't have children when I did but what you don't have can't hurt.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2013, 12:45 PM

Also Cookie - if you had your life again - you would have no knowledge of your children. With the benefit of hindsight, I can honestly say that, given my present position in life, gaining a better career would have been better for me and I'm another one that wishes I'd never listened to my mother!

You would still have had your children - just probably at a later date.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2013, 01:00 PM

My mother has a lot to answer for. Yep I think we've nailed it I would advise my younger self to ignore what mother said and do what I wanted to do. (I have thought long and hard over this and have come to the conclusion that my mother was a foster mother and therefore didn't understand this person who was me)
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2013, 01:08 PM

Well, I've thought long and hard over this I've come to the conlcusion that my mothers was a sadistic so and so who failed to move with the times and kept me firmly in the past with her! What a rotter

I pushed (oh so gently) both of my children to do well for themselves but both are content with what they ended up doing (not what I would have chosen) and that is all that matters: it was their choice (regardless of what a poor choice it was - just kidding)
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

05-05-2013, 02:34 PM

I know what you mean and that is what happened to me. I tried to make my daughter go to drama school and indeed she went for a year and hated it. I was sad when she left but allowed her to make up her own mind and she is now successful. My eldest son never did get a 'proper job' but went on to become a successful musician. Yep my children will never have to tell their young selves to ignore their mother.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

05-05-2013, 06:31 PM

As you and I both know how much it can rankle (sp?) to carry thoughts of 'why didn't 'she' mind her own business, it's a good thing that your children won't think that way. My two tell me to stop interfering and then in the next breath say 'thanks for helping mum, don't know what I'd do without you'!
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2013, 07:05 PM

Oedipus, Schmoedipus.........

Was it Oscar Wilde who said

"All women become like their mothers, that is their tragedy.
Men seldom do, that is their tragedy."
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2013, 03:39 AM

I'm fighting very hard not to become like my mother. I am an only child and she expected far too much from me and nothing was ever good enough despite my Uni degree and career as a high school teacher. She was so anti my first steady boyfriend that I rebelled and stupidly married him.

I probably went too far the other way in trying not to interfere with my sons' lives but at least they have been no trouble and all working hard and bringing up families.

So, I would add to my list - don't try to live your life through your children.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2013, 07:24 AM

Be braver. Have some adventures. Be confident in your youth.
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2013, 10:43 AM

Stop suffering in silence;
make a fuss more often;
delete the word 'sorry' from your language .....

Oh yes, take less water with it

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top