Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

22-05-2013, 09:12 AM

Re: children who play on our estate

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We solved the problem of kids hanging around by joining them, the idea two fat oldies were going to hang out with them every evening seemed to put them off coming back
now that I like - positive re-inforcement - yea that's the way to go!
mindbender
mindbender is male 

22-05-2013, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
Even shared ownerships will have some sort of list of the HA's responsibilities. Try to find out what they are, if they should be doing something about it and aren't contact The Housing Ombudsman.
When I lived in Wells we ended up with our own policeman who used to go round the estate most days, have a residents meeting if you can & get someone from the HA to attend.
yea more positive poor by the people - don't just stand and watch
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2013, 11:12 PM

My housing association must groan whenever they get a communique from me!! I've named myself Victoria Meldrew as I always find things to complain about!! But usually about excessive noise, door slammings, repair to front door needed, and the problems with the bin shed area (a long story).

As for the other residents, I did say they were all wimpy and most of them just cannot be bothered. Another neighbour, who does share certain views with me, always stopped me from starting up a resident's association, or leafleting them, stating 'they just wouldn't be interested'. There are probably 40 flats here, set in 4 buildings, three different HAs, and I only know half a dozen other people, excluding those 5 in my section.

I met one recently who had been living here for 3 years, and I'd never set eyes on him before! And our estate is small. We just all lead separate lives, come and go at different times. I could go weeks/months not meeting even the 5 in my section. I go over to my allotment or shopping in the hope of speaking to someone! I so miss my Mum.
mindbender
mindbender is male 

23-05-2013, 12:08 AM

the sense of community has gone in some places obviously - is it fear or apathy?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2013, 08:44 AM

I think it's both.
mindbender
mindbender is male 

25-05-2013, 01:10 AM

a double wammy heh - wow - terminal
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2013, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I think it's both.
Jan darlin' - when we lived in East Lunnen, (I was four when we left) our front doors were open throughout the day and only closed when we all 'turned in'. Although our street wasn't very long (we lived near Cable Street) it could take you more than 1 hour to walk from one end to the next as it was regarded as an 'insult' if you walked past someones door without 'popping in' - happy days!!!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2013, 10:49 AM

Yea Joe - In our road, we all had our key on a piece of string thru the letterbox to let ourselves in - amazing !
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

25-05-2013, 05:32 PM

Or a mum at home to let us in!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2013, 05:42 PM

Yes - not me unfortunately, but for most.....

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top