Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2013, 02:24 PM

Re: Crickets and other useful tools.

Red sky at night..sailors delight. Red sky at morning..sailors take warning.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2013, 02:25 PM

Many berries in autumn means a hard winter is approaching
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2013, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
Back to the supernatural..... If a black crow sits outside your home.. it is an indication that you will hear of a death.
I went to see a palm / aura reader ... he said to me the day I see a black crow outside my kitchen window and look him in the eye , i will be at peace with the world and be happy from that day on..... do i have to wait for a death to be happy do you think ?
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2013, 04:24 PM

Crows have been used for the purpose of divination since the time of ancient Rome.
Finding a dead crow on the road is good luck.
Crows in a church yard are bad luck.
A single crow over a house meant bad news, and often foretold a death within. "A crow on the thatch, soon death lifts the latch."
It was unlucky in Wales to have a crow cross your path. However, if two crows crossed your path, the luck was reversed. "Two crows I see, good luck to me" .
In New England, however, to see two crows flying together from the left was bad luck.
When crows were quiet during their midsummer's molt, some European peasants believed that it was because they were preparing to go to the Devil to pay tribute with their black feathers.
Often, two crows would be released together during a wedding celebration. If the two flew away together, the couple could look forward to a long life together. If the pair separated, the couple might expect to be soon parted.
In Somerset (West Country of England) locals used to carry an onion with them for protection from magpies or crows.
The French had a saying that evil priests became crows, and bad nuns became magpies.
The Greeks said "Go to the Crows" the same way we would say "Go to Hell."
The Romans used the expression "To pierce a Crow's eye" in relation to something that was almost impossible to do.
An Irish expression, "You'll follow the Crows for it" meant that a person would miss something after it was gone.
The expression, "I have a bone to pick with you" used to be " I have a crow to pick with you".

http://www.crowbusters.com/begart15.htm
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2013, 06:19 PM

If you step on your shadow it will bring you good luck.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2013, 06:24 PM

"You can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead". Stan Laurel.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2013, 06:30 PM

Ha-ha .....
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2013, 06:42 PM

Ah, that's lovely Pats, they still make me laugh.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2013, 12:02 AM

You can tell how far a thunderstorm is if you count the seconds betwee seeing the lightening and hearing the thunder.. In miles.
Yes, I was always told that one too.
The centigrade to farenheit thing I always do is:
Whatever the centigrade is, double it and add 30. It's usually only a degree or two out and handy for a quick estimate.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2013, 12:06 AM

Red sky at night..sailors delight. Red sky at morning..sailors take warning.
We always say "Shepherds" instead of "sailors" though.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top