Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2013, 09:39 AM

What's on Telly?

The Radio Times conducted a poll to find people's "ultimate TV schedule" for its 90th birthday.

Almost 30,000 votes were cast - with Blue Peter chosen as the top children's programme and Morecambe and Wise as the best entertainment show.

Of the six winners, only Blue Peter and Doctor Who are still on the air, with both running for several decades.

The full schedule comprised the following programmes:

Children's: Blue Peter
Entertainment: The Morecambe & Wise Show
Comedy: Only Fools And Horses
Drama: Doctor Who
Documentary: Around the World in 80 Days
News: Sir Trevor McDonald

Kevin O'Sullivan, TV critic at The Daily Mirror, said it was a "fascinating insight into the tastes of Middle Britain".

"What I find interesting is that even people like me, writing for the masses, gather around what you might call cutting-edge programmes like The Inbetweeners instead of, say, My Family. "And in a way our instincts are wrong in terms of what the public likes."

What would you list as your favourites? Do you agree with the results of the poll?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24205708
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2013, 09:54 AM

Re: What's on Telly?

Well emmerdale would have to be there somewhere, Babylon 5, star trek, stargate, and anything with Penelope wilton or Maggie smith in it.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2013, 10:48 AM

I used to love flicking through the TV Times, so many ticks for the programmes we wanted to see - boy has that changed, so few 'ticks' !!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2013, 11:01 AM

Although I liked Morcambe and Wise I've always thought that the "Two Ronnies" was funnier. As for drama, the memory of "Roots" will never leave me. I'd put "The Vicar of Dibley" at the top of my comedy list..............no, no, no, yes !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2013, 11:10 AM

Vicar of dibley is one of our most watched DVD collections, along side Clarence which was absolutely brilliant !
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2013, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Vicar of dibley is one of our most watched DVD collections, along side Clarence which was absolutely brilliant !

Do you mean Daktari starring Clarence the cross-eyed Lion Julie darlin???
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2013, 06:12 PM

If you ask me they never had a clue what the people want, young or old. It's like in our house when the wife cooks something special that we like we have to be careful how we express our satisfaction or else we will be getting it till it comes out of our ears. Same thing with the program planners, and I know you can't please all of the people all of the time but don't always force the same programs on us all the time because someone said they liked it at the time, remember the 'Reality' shows? they were done to death and good riddance to them, now they are at it with the cooking programs, can nobody cook anymore? we have them on morning noon and night encouraging people to eat at all hours of the day, doing it against the clock for Gods sake, is it any wonder we are all getting fat? I'm sick of them, the problem is when one station sees another station doing it they start off one of their own, the result is no matter which station you switch on you'll get a cooking program. Bah!
Now that I have that off my chest I think it really doesn't matter what they put on now because the way we watch things on screen is changing rapidly, people can now choose for themselves what they want to watch and big brother can go and stuff himself with his own food on his own show.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2013, 06:55 PM

Many many years ago, I saw a few episodes of 'Eastenders' and 'Neighbours'. Apart from that I've never seen any soaps like 'Coronation street' (is it officially called 'corrie', or is that just laziness), Emerdale farm (though I've had a few pints in 'the Woolpack' - AKA 'the Commercial Inn') or any other soap, so I'm happy not to see them on the list.

As for the ones that are on the list, certainly I'd keep Blue Peter and Dr.Who... but where's 'Monty Python', 'Fawlty Towers' or 'Some Mothers do have them' in the comedy choice?

Where's the excellent David Attenborough series in the documentaries?

News - I think I'd prefer "Not the 9 O'clock news" !!

If you have been affected by any of the issues raised in these programmes, calm down dear, it's only a TV show.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2013, 07:01 PM

Agree with most of the choices ....
Would add - variety - really miss the stunning acts we used to see ...
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2013, 09:12 PM

UJ, I wonder if Julie is referring to the Ronnie Barker Clarence?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top