Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 03:50 PM

Re: School Nativites

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Dianne came home from work (school admin officer) one day and asked if I could fix the crib for the nativity play. It seems that Mary fell over, landed on the crib and squashed baby Jesus.

Apart from things like that, it's a long time since my children were at that age. Some very good plays, some truly cringeworthy, some hardly a dry seat in the house.
Originally Posted by Mups ->
Did you mean "hardly a dry SEAT" Grumblewagon, or did you mean to say "dry EYE" in the house?
Would make alot of difference . .
I am pretty sure it is seat Mups
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 07:48 PM

I attended all my grandchildren's Nativity plays when they were in the Infants School, my daughter never had a problem getting extra tickets for us either. I always had a lump in my throat watching the little ones perform and feeling very proud at the same time.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 07:50 PM

[QUOTE=Mups;388970]
Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Dianne came home from work (school admin officer) one day and asked if I could fix the crib for the nativity play. It seems that Mary fell over, landed on the crib and squashed baby Jesus.

Apart from things like that, it's a long time since my children were at that age. Some very good plays, some truly cringeworthy, some hardly a dry seat in the house.[/QUOTE]

Did you mean "hardly a dry SEAT" Grumblewagon, or did you mean to say "dry EYE" in the house?
Would make alot of difference . .
Probably 'both' .....
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 12:16 AM

I went to every one that my children were in and most of the ones my granddaughters were in - they were really lovely; even my son who was off daydreaming and always missed his cues

And we could take photos as well!
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 03:02 PM

I meant 'Seat'. There were some hilarious episodes during nativity plays.

At one junior school one, they were doing not so much a nativity, but a potted history of Jesus. When it came to the feeding of the 5000, one pupil held up a pot noodle tub and proclained in an exagerated theatrical voice - "It's a miracle folks".
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I went to every one that my children were in and most of the ones my granddaughters were in - they were really lovely; even my son who was off daydreaming and always missed his cues

And we could take photos as well!
Budding David Baileys rushing up to the stage putting off the kids made our school stop that. If people had stayed seated we could still be taking piccies ! However they do a nice dvd you can buy which is actually better than anything a parent could manage I think.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Budding David Baileys rushing up to the stage putting off the kids made our school stop that. If people had stayed seated we could still be taking piccies ! However they do a nice dvd you can buy which is actually better than anything a parent could manage I think.
I don't ever remember anyone leaving their seats to take photos - you took them from your sitting position. Maybe our headteachers were much firmer and instilled terror into us for behaving inappropriately

Edited to add: I think schools used any excuse once they realised they could make some spare money from selling photos.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 03:54 PM

We do not have school nativities here in the States... unless one goes to a religious school. Public schools do not have them as there is no State sponsored religion and public schools are paid for by tax dollars... Separation of Church and State prevails.. AND I think that's good. People of all religions attend public school
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 04:10 PM

Pupils of all religions are welcome to be in the nativities, and most grab the opportunity really enjoying the class activity.

Only children not in our nativity are the Jehovah's witnesses, even the Muslims and Jewish children are in it in some way.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Pupils of all religions are welcome to be in the nativities, and most grab the opportunity really enjoying the class activity.

Only children not in our nativity are the Jehovah's witnesses, even the Muslims and Jewish children are in it in some way.
That may be true.. and that's nice.. but here Nativities and any religious pagentry is against the law, or rather against our constitution, because that's why we left England right? To not have a State sanctioned religion as in the CHurch of England. There is no Church of the United States. We are secular.

OR we are supposed to be. The Far Religious Right is always B&*^%ing about this and wanting prayer in schools and claiming that there is a "War on Christmas" and blah blah.. and blah. BUT that is not true. Anyone can celebrate whatever they want, however they want.. just not in public institutions that accept tax dollars.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top