Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 05:12 PM

Re: School Nativites

I think I prefer our secular way where we do have religious services and all are welcome to them all, the Diwali ceremonies were particularly lovely I thought and all the kids loved taking part.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I think I prefer our secular way where we do have religious services and all are welcome to them all, the Diwali ceremonies were particularly lovely I thought and all the kids loved taking part.
As I said.. we are allowed to have all the religious services we want to have. and free to attend and participate in any and all.. . Just not in tax payer funded places. generally all our religious pagents are held in Churches by the Sunday School kids.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 09:39 PM

I think with churches in decline here that would limit rather how many children get to take part or even see religions in action. I like to see them get to know all religions so they can make their decisions about what to believe or what not to believe in their own time with the knowledge they need. Also some religions wouldn't go into other religious buildings so they wouldn't be mingling which is incredibly important.

Are your churches better attended than ours ?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 11:52 PM

Well, I attended the Nativity this afternoon and I was totally surprised to find my self quite emotional not once, but twice during the kids performance, I thought I was much more 'practical' than that. Must be getting soft in me old age.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2013, 12:42 AM

No Julie, Britain is not a secular country, it has a state sanctioned religion with the head of State being the head of the religion and defender of the faith (look on your coins) and when I lived there the education act required prayers (and worship) to be said in state schools, as far as I know that is still the case.

Being inclusive is not being secular.

The law in England and Wales

The most recent legal statement of the requirements for collective worship (as distinct from assembly) are contained in the School Standards and Framework Act 1998. These build on similar requirements in Section 346 of the Education Act 1996, the Education Reform Act 1988, and Section 25 of the 1944 Education Act, where the law on compulsory collective worship began. Section 70 of the 1998 Act states that, subject to the parental right of excusal or other special arrangements, “…each pupil in attendance at a community, foundation or voluntary school shall on each school day take part in an act of collective worship.”
You will be pleased to know that Australia is a secular country it is enshrined in our constitution:

COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA CONSTITUTION ACT - SECT 116
Commonwealth not to legislate in respect of religion

The Commonwealth shall not make any law for establishing any religion, or for imposing any religious observance, or for prohibiting the free exercise of any religion, and no religious test shall be required as a qualification for any office or public trust under the Commonwealth.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

13-12-2013, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
No Julie, Britain is not a secular country, it has a state sanctioned religion with the head of State being the head of the religion and defender of the faith (look on your coins) and when I lived there the education act required prayers (and worship) to be said in state schools, as far as I know that is still the case.

Being inclusive is not being secular.

You will be pleased to know that Australia is a secular country it is enshrined in our constitution:
I know all that LOL but in practical terms we are as secular as America, possibly more so as we have less of the extreme conservative religious here. You will not find too many in churches these days and the atheists are very quick to stop any outward signs of religion. It's no longer comfortable showing any sign of your religion which is sad IMO as I like to imagine people as tolerant of what other believe but that no longer seems so.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2013, 08:56 AM

I know all that LOL but in practical terms we are as secular as America, possibly more so as we have less of the extreme conservative religious here. You will not find too many in churches these days and the atheists are very quick to stop any outward signs of religion. It's no longer comfortable showing any sign of your religion which is sad IMO as I like to imagine people as tolerant of what other believe but that no longer seems so.

Julie what is tolerant of having 'state sponsored religion' rammed down the throats of young children whether they want it or not.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

13-12-2013, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Julie what is tolerant of having 'state sponsored religion' rammed down the throats of young children whether they want it or not.
Well I have been into school quite a bit recently and I have not seen any religion rammed down throats of anyone, they don't even have a school prayer in assembly any more.

What have you seen that makes you think this is happening ? are you looking at primary schools or religious schools ? TBH I would be unhappy to see any child forced into religion, it is something they should be broadly taught about along with atheism and then they should be encouraged to make decisions about it when they are old enough to understand. And allowed to change their minds at a later date if they find they have taken the wrong course.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2013, 10:51 AM

My children went to the local C. of E. school. They said that the only religion that they were taught was once a year when the Rev.Pincent (father of the Olympic rower and vicar of the local church) tried to put the fear of God into them!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2013, 10:54 AM

Well I have been into school quite a bit recently and I have not seen any religion rammed down throats of anyone, they don't even have a school prayer in assembly any more.

What have you seen that makes you think this is happening ? are you looking at primary schools or religious schools ? TBH I would be unhappy to see any child forced into religion, it is something they should be broadly taught about along with atheism and then they should be encouraged to make decisions about it when they are old enough to understand. And allowed to change their minds at a later date if they find they have taken the wrong course.

I was talking of my own experiences over 50 years ago Julie, where despite being atheist, was 'forced' to attend both morning Assembly every morning AND religious lessons too.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top