Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2013, 04:56 PM

The 'feel' of Christmas

In ten days time it's Christmas Day, a day that many of us feel is special, regardless of any religious connotations.

To me it was different when I was a lad because I never seemed to see my Dad at Christmas so in some ways I began to dread all the jollity, bonhomie or whatever term you wish to use, especially when my parents split up.

It took quite a time and a child of my own before that dread diminished but then my marriage failed and it was back to 'normal'.
Now I'm a Grandfather several times over it's become more special to me again but just now my wife said "does it feel like Christmas to you yet?" which rather surprised me!

To be honest I don't know. How am I supposed to feel?

I'm not religious so that's out. I enjoy seeing the family of course, but I see them all the time.

My parents are long-dead and my wife and I have lost friends and relatives, just like most of us have so how REALLY am I supposed to feel?

My wife says she feels that the expense of it all has taken the shine off it for her.

On Christmas Day we're actually driving down to her mother's and taking her out for dinner and now my wife's almost looking forward to the fact that, due to other commitments or location, some of our family and friends will be away so we won't be seeing them so it'll be just the two of us from Boxing Day onwards.

I'm actually looking forward to that myself too.

How's the whole thing for you these days? stevmk2
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2013, 05:05 PM

Re: The 'feel' of Christmas

I haven't become excited about Christmas since my granddaughters passed the age that they became excited.

My son is coming here for Christmas Day (he always does) for dinner and tea so that will be nice.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2013, 05:14 PM

Starts to feel Christmassy here as soon as Christmas present lists are written, and the pudding is made. Just a count down then to the day.

We seem to be odd family looking around in that we have never got into the expensive side of the year, we hand make presents and cards are all home made too. So all the stress of it seems to happen to others and not to us.

Have just one more knit to make up it's all knitted just needs sewing together which I will do tomorrow when no one is around as it's a secret

My wardrobe has been emptied of clothes and is full of family pressies, they all bring them here as they finish them so they are ready for the day and I lock the door so no one can snoop !

We are religious so that is a big part of it for us, we tend to go to salvation army carol service for a rousing sing along a day or two before Christmas, then midnight service at the C of E church that gets earlier every year soon will be the 4pm service way it's going. Quaker meeting house on boxing day. And we also pop over at some point to put a "present" onto MILs grave.

Lots of walks if the weather is good, dogs love that side of the day they have all the family home to love them and play with them.

Will be different this year as nephew goes away straight after new year into the army so it's a bit sad in a way because from now on he won't be able to guarantee he will be here each year with his duties he could be taken any where.
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2013, 05:35 PM

I started to feel a bit Christmassy yesterday when I finished wrapping the pressies and writing the family cards, but what puzzles me with some folk who say they are atheists but then celebrate the birth of Christ, yet don't believe in it. This really puzzles me.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2013, 05:43 PM

Well I was an atheist for about 45 years and always celebrated Christmas, then it was about being with family and we still did a fair few religious things as I never had a problem supporting those who did believe. I think Christmas can be done in a secular way but then it tends to be more about consumption.
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2013, 05:50 PM

I can't say I have ever been an atheist but quite understand what you mean by being with family, etc. I don't have anything against folk who say they are atheists but it just puzzled me why they would actually celebrate something they disbelieve in. I agree, Christmas is becoming far too commercialized now and the true meaning of it is being lost.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2013, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Stella H ->
I started to feel a bit Christmassy yesterday when I finished wrapping the pressies and writing the family cards, but what puzzles me with some folk who say they are atheists but then celebrate the birth of Christ, yet don't believe in it. This really puzzles me.
To me celebrating Christmas was never about celebrating the birth of Christ Stella.

The dictionary I've just looked at says an atheist is "a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods", which to me is a bit different.

I've been working overseas on three occasions at Christmas in Muslim countries and once in a Western European country and it seems to be a special time for many people, regardless of their religious views.

Years ago, at Christmas, an Arab friend of mine in Qatar said to me that Jesus Christ is recognised as a prophet by Muslims so there is a certain amount of respect that goes beyond religious dogma.

I often find myself thinking of the words of a popular song at this time of year - I wish it could be Christmas every day too sometimes. stevmk2
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2013, 07:10 PM

I loved Christmas when my kids were small, it's all about kids when you think of it, they do look forward to it so much and we had some great laughs, now we have the grandkids and it's a lot of laughs again here on Christmas day.
I suppose it's already started for us now, when the kids get the Christmas holidays on Friday it'll really get moving.
I do the usual bit of moaning, but that's all part of it, they have me copped on now and know I don't mean any of it.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2013, 07:14 PM

The time around the Solstice has been celebrated long before Jesus' birth. The idea of celebrating Jesus' birth did not come about until many certuries after the event (and we're not absolutely certain when that was).

The 25th Dec was basically hijacked to make the idea of a religious Christian celebration fit in to the existing celebrations. I see no harm in it but neither do I see any significance in it. I can understand people celebrating the time round the Solstice, but I find it hard to swallow a tale about a virgin getting together with a holy ghost and giving birth to a son of a god in a stable........

So, I don't celebrate 'Christmas'. I celebrate the 25th. Dec - the time round the Solstice, the end of the old year and the beginning of the new.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2013, 07:17 PM

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top