Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2013, 01:08 PM

Re: The 'feel' of Christmas

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
The time around the Solstice has been celebrated long before Jesus' birth. The idea of celebrating Jesus' birth did not come about until many certuries after the event (and we're not absolutely certain when that was).

The 25th Dec was basically hijacked to make the idea of a religious Christian celebration fit in to the existing celebrations.

So, I don't celebrate 'Christmas'. I celebrate the 25th. Dec - the time round the Solstice, the end of the old year and the beginning of the new.
I remember reading that Winter Solstice was adopted as the time for Christmas when the Church failed to stop people from celebrating Winter Solstice so they turned into a Christian festival instead so I agree with what you have said on that.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2013, 01:26 PM

Oh what the hell!!! any excuse for good booze up and nosh will do whether one is religious, agnostic, or full blown atheist.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2013, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Oh what the hell!!! any excuse for good booze up and nosh will do whether one is religious, agnostic, or full blown atheist.
I'm sure you could think of an excuse every day, UJ

Like....It's a new day
I'm still alive today
I've done all the cleaning and I deserve a treat
I didn't have a good nosh yesterday so today is special

etc. etc.

Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2013, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I'm sure you could think of an excuse every day, UJ

Like....It's a new day
I'm still alive today
I've done all the cleaning and I deserve a treat
I didn't have a good nosh yesterday so today is special

etc. etc.

You are so funny Ania darlin'
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2013, 10:14 PM

I'm afraid it means little to me. By nature, or design, I yearn for peace and quiet and very rarely need more than me to be content, that is up to now. I'm far from usual though and in all probability will turn in to a really grumpy old man.

I dislike fuss and bother - strangers - family get-togethers - Xmas family visits - etc. I have to work hard at it to go out the door for any other reason than to go running, and the worse thing about it all is that I'm quite happy in my isolation, or at least I think I am.

I don't have a wife or kids or even a pet now but I can't say I ever feel lonely. As long as my brain box is occupied with some scheme or other then everything is fine with me.

What does Xmas bring to the table for me? Just stuff I can really do without. Oh well, it doesn't last long does it.

Depressed the hell out of my self now .

Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2013, 11:05 PM

*plays violin and harp*

*sobs lots*

*contemplates suicide*
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2013, 11:06 PM

Isolation, self inflicted, or otherwise good place to be, a time for reflection.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2013, 11:39 PM

My family are everything to me at Christmas as they are all year round. There are four generations of us these days, the majority are only a few miles from my wife and I. We also have several in New Zealand and Scotland so the telephones are working overtime during the festivities. Our eldest Grandaughter is expecting her first child..a baby boy..on the 28th of this month, our 6th Great Grandchild, so Christmas this year will be even more memorable than ever. Do I enjoy Christmas? You bet I do!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2013, 11:40 PM

Donations, hampers, chocs, alcoholic pressies much appreciated and would no-doubt lift my spirits. PM me for address ...
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2013, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Moiramary ->
However you feel about religion it has got to be good to come together, set aside differences and celebrate once a year. It doesn't need to cost a fortune but it does need an open heart.
A open heart ...a open door and a open bottle ...I think I can do all that ....ohh and dont forget a open wallet ..

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top