Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2016, 11:30 PM

Barbecues

On local radio today, they were talking about the very warm weather forecast for this coming weekend - possible 26 degrees round here!
They thought half the world would be digging out the barbecues for the first time this year and were giving the annual words of wisdom about making sure food is cooked safely.

Are you a barbecue fanatic? Do you enjoy cooking outside as much as possible in the summer? Have you ever been made ill from any barbecue food?
Why do men usually want to do the cooking outside, who wouldn't dream of cooking indoors?

TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2016, 06:37 AM

Re: Barbecues

I had enough of barbecues (braai) in South Africa in the 80's to last a lifetime, I did try to do a couple when we got back but the meat was too disappointing!
One tip though, where the flames start to flare up, get a can of beer, open it, put your thumb over the hole and give it a shake. Use it to spray over the barbecue, meat and all. Calms the flames and adds to the flavour.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2016, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I had enough of barbecues (braai) in South Africa in the 80's to last a lifetime, I did try to do a couple when we got back but the meat was too disappointing!
One tip though, where the flames start to flare up, get a can of beer, open it, put your thumb over the hole and give it a shake. Use it to spray over the barbecue, meat and all. Calms the flames and adds to the flavour.
What a good idea Tess, remind me to invite you to my next barbecue. Do you think this is the reason men want to do the cooking... so they can finish the remains of the can of beer, without appearing greedy?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2016, 08:32 AM

I like 'proper barbecues' with good quality marinated meat not burgers and sausages .
I don't have one here, it is horrible for neighbours to get second hand Bbq smells.

I do them for the family when we are on holiday
Marion
Norfolk
Marion is female  Marion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2016, 09:02 AM

I aren't bothered about bbq's, but I do love the smell. of them,
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2016, 09:05 AM

When I am home I use the BBQ all the time it saves on washing up (just a quick scrape) and the food tastes so much better.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2016, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I like 'proper barbecues' with good quality marinated meat not burgers and sausages .
I don't have one here, it is horrible for neighbours to get second hand Bbq smells.

I do them for the family when we are on holiday

You are about the only woman I've heard of that does the BBQ Meg, for some reason the men who never cook usually take over the reins.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2016, 12:26 PM

I remember the first time my dad and myself used a BBQ (a long time ago). The flames kept dying out so we kept putting lighter fluid on it - only to be advised by someone on the campsite that the flames were supposed to die down and the charcoal would glow.

Then we dropped all the sausages but we still ate them.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2016, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
You are about the only woman I've heard of that does the BBQ Meg, for some reason the men who never cook usually take over the reins.
Mups , many mens ideas of a BBQ seems to be to stick a few cheap sausages and some burgers on top of flames then expect people to eat the resulting burn mess

BBQs need careful planning, they are best left to the woman .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2016, 12:41 PM

These days, I use the BBQ to cook marinated chicken for my Tikkas.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top