Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2014, 05:32 PM

Re: Are you rude ...

The only OPs I find rude, and thankfully I have never seen anyone here do it is when a question is posed or a comment made then the OP says discuss ! almost an order to comment. That always makes me think how arrogant.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2014, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
The only OPs I find rude, and thankfully I have never seen anyone here do it is when a question is posed or a comment made then the OP says discuss ! almost an order to comment. That always makes me think how arrogant.
Urgghh!!! I know.....how arrogant!
comeandgo
The universe
comeandgo is female 

01-11-2014, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I don't have a problem with that, no one has to discuss a topic if they don't wish to! Forums aren't real life, and getting upset about some supposed slight is CRAZY, imo!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2014, 06:22 PM

It's much more polite to say, "what do you think" I think, or do I? Now I don't know what I think? Do you know what I'm thinking?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2014, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
It's much more polite to say, "what do you think" I think, or do I? Now I don't know what I think? Do you know what I'm thinking?
No ...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2014, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Great way to look at it

Sometimes, I am much more interested in what others have to say.

In fact, only recently I thought about creating a new section where members can simply post a topic up for discussion without having to post their own opinion or any accompanying text.

A number of good reasons for this - sometimes people just want to hear what everyone else thinks, sometimes people want to put up a topic without adding their own opinion as to not influence the opinion of others..
Makes sense
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2014, 06:26 PM

Yes Twiz. I usually say something like "what about you?". Or I'll post and leave it to others to say what they think. It's not all about me, it's about everyone else!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

01-11-2014, 06:30 PM

Cough - splutter !
Oooo - sorry about that
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2014, 07:03 PM

Jeeez, this humble Aussie reckons some people seem to get their knickers in a twist pretty easily.

I couldn't give a rat's if the original poster responds or not.

If one has an opinion, states it clearly in that first post and opens the subject up for others to state their views .... jolly good show, old boy !

That's what generates discussion in a discussion forum. The person has served the site well by taking the trouble to start the thread.
Absolutely no need to contribute further if they don't choose to.
Certainly nothing even slightly "rude" about that.

I don't think I've EVER started a thread.
All power to those who do ..... without copping a flogging from others.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2014, 07:06 PM

I'm not sure that it is rude to start a thread and not add to it later. It depends so much on what the OP is and how it's worded. As others have said, sometimes it is just to get others' views on something.
I don't have a problem with the 'discuss' word either, although I can see Julie's point about that. It can sound arrogant, but I tend to think of it more as a rather humorous harking back to school exam questions, which often seemed to use the 'Discuss' theme.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top