Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

10-01-2015, 04:28 AM

Is there intelligent life out there?

Do you think there is life just like us out in the galaxy some where.
I think there must be, surely we are not the only ones out their, it doesn't make any sense. Perhaps at this very minute there are aliens say, "we cannot be the only ones out here, if we are what a downer" If we did find someone else, how long would it take for someone here to try and make money out of them or exploit what resources they have.
What are your thoughts?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2015, 06:08 AM

Re: Is there intelligent life out there?

You would think that with the billions of galaxies out there with their billions of stars the odds alone would be in favour of some form of life having developed in several places in the Universe.

How intelligent it is is another matter, imagine if that meteorite had not wiped out the dinosaurs then mammals might have remained small and primative and remained at the intelligence level of a rat. There might be planets where life has never evolved past the bacteria level or there might be life who's intelligence dwarfs ours but they are as far across the Universe from us as it is possible to get.

We may never know, but I like to think there is.

littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

10-01-2015, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
You would think that with the billions of galaxies out there with their billions of stars the odds alone would be in favour of some form of life having developed in several places in the Universe.

How intelligent it is is another matter, imagine if that meteorite had not wiped out the dinosaurs then mammals might have remained small and primative and remained at the intelligence level of a rat. There might be planets where life has never evolved past the bacteria level or there might be life who's intelligence dwarfs ours but they are as far across the Universe from us as it is possible to get.

We may never know, but I like to think there is.

It could be vastly superior to us, we make not be the head of the evolutionary scale. We definitely will know one day, perhaps you and I may not because it is going to take another 50 years to master nuclear fusion a cording to my nephew who has a PhD in the subject. He reckons lithium is our best fusion material so far to make long distance travel at high speed possible. Who knows, we might discover even faster ways of travelling in the next few years.
I love to think we will discover other life forms in the universe. It would change our perspectives on our own world if we new others existed out there. It would be as big a shock as when we discovering that earth was not the centre of the solar system.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2015, 09:26 AM

Best not to bother about finding other life, could be wise to worry about other life finding us, either way Relativism is maybe best adopted.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2015, 09:36 AM

If there is we wouldn't want to meet up as it would probably most mean catastrophe for one or maybe both.
There could be intelligent life which is predatory and will simply destroy us if it finds us, according to some schools of thought.
I think we have enough to cope with with our own warring species tearing each other apart.
If you think of the problems that a new culture arriving on a continent causes here on earth and how the indigenous population are often dessimated it could well spell disaster.
Can you imagine having to deal with fending off attacks from space and what it might cost.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2015, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by littlebob ->
It could be vastly superior to us, we make not be the head of the evolutionary scale. We definitely will know one day, perhaps you and I may not because it is going to take another 50 years to master nuclear fusion a cording to my nephew who has a PhD in the subject. He reckons lithium is our best fusion material so far to make long distance travel at high speed possible. Who knows, we might discover even faster ways of travelling in the next few years.
I love to think we will discover other life forms in the universe. It would change our perspectives on our own world if we new others existed out there. It would be as big a shock as when we discovering that earth was not the centre of the solar system.
They are discovering new planets on a regular basis that are similar to Earth. I firmly believe we are not alone and I also believe the powers that be 'know' that .....
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2015, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by littlebob ->
Do you think there is life just like us out in the galaxy some where.
I think there must be, surely we are not the only ones out their, it doesn't make any sense. Perhaps at this very minute there are aliens say, "we cannot be the only ones out here, if we are what a downer" If we did find someone else, how long would it take for someone here to try and make money out of them or exploit what resources they have.
What are your thoughts?
It is a bit difficult to imagine we are the "only ones".

If there are, I hope to god there's no terrorism among them. The world is a bad enough place as it is at the moment.

I'd need to see definite evidence.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2015, 10:41 AM

Wouldn't it be funny if the first planet they find with life on it had
Dinosaurs
Cant believe we are the only ones in the Universe. Maybe in another
Galaxy there are over 50's web sites like ours.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2015, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
Wouldn't it be funny if the first planet they find with life on it had
Dinosaurs
Cant believe we are the only ones in the Universe. Maybe in another
Galaxy there are over 50's web sites like ours.
Maybe the AAF. Aged Alien Forum
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

10-01-2015, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
If there is we wouldn't want to meet up as it would probably most mean catastrophe for one or maybe both.
There could be intelligent life which is predatory and will simply destroy us if it finds us, according to some schools of thought.
I think we have enough to cope with with our own warring species tearing each other apart.
If you think of the problems that a new culture arriving on a continent causes here on earth and how the indigenous population are often dessimated it could well spell disaster.
Can you imagine having to deal with fending off attacks from space and what it might cost.
I can see where your coming from Anita but what about when we discovered other countries. We went there, they came over here and there is always a sort out period but I quite like foreign people, they all add to life's rich tapestry. If we are that worried about what they might do to us we had better stop looking for them now because if we keep sending out radio signals into deep space, there is a very good chance that someone somewhere will pick them up and come looking for us.
Like shouting in an empty field really, someone could hear you.
It is bound to unite us all here because we would have a common threat.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top