Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2015, 11:17 AM

Re: Is there intelligent life out there?

Originally Posted by littlebob ->
It could be vastly superior to us, we make not be the head of the evolutionary scale. We definitely will know one day, perhaps you and I may not because it is going to take another 50 years to master nuclear fusion a cording to my nephew who has a PhD in the subject. He reckons lithium is our best fusion material so far to make long distance travel at high speed possible. Who knows, we might discover even faster ways of travelling in the next few years.
I love to think we will discover other life forms in the universe. It would change our perspectives on our own world if we new others existed out there. It would be as big a shock as when we discovering that earth was not the centre of the solar system.
They reckon travel to the nearest star in our galaxy would take nearly 100000 years (give or take 10000 years or so) to travel the 4.5 light years to the Alpha Centuri system -our nearest neighbours - using an ion drive. At the moment the chance of life forms coming into contact is pretty remote given the likelihood of other life forms existing in the same galaxy being near to each other.
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

10-01-2015, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
If there is we wouldn't want to meet up as it would probably most mean catastrophe for one or maybe both.
There could be intelligent life which is predatory and will simply destroy us if it finds us, according to some schools of thought.
I think we have enough to cope with with our own warring species tearing each other apart.
If you think of the problems that a new culture arriving on a continent causes here on earth and how the indigenous population are often dessimated it could well spell disaster.
Can you imagine having to deal with fending off attacks from space and what it might cost.
It could cost us the earth Anita.
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2015, 12:13 PM

The human race is unlikely to last long enough to contact anyone šout thereš - weŽll be swept away just like the dinosaurs, who existed for a lot longer than we have to date - 165 million years to 200 thousand for modern human beings. WeŽve a long way to go to beat those šprimitiveš dinos.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2015, 12:43 PM

Is there intelligent life out there ? well looking around I doubt there could be less intelligent life than we are so yes there must be more intelligent life. Whether it is formed in our image is the question - big fan of V the series and films here
Davenorave
Wales
Davenorave is male  Davenorave has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2015, 01:06 PM

Personally think there must be life in other galaxies. Needs to be some massive strides in space propulsion for us to ever reach them though. Can't imagine the situation ever coming about that would make it feasible for centuries. Much to do to overcome the chaos alone that is space. It would need to done though at some point, since the ultimate destiny for this world is total annihilation and the end of all things here.
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

10-01-2015, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
They reckon travel to the nearest star in our galaxy would take nearly 100000 years (give or take 10000 years or so) to travel the 4.5 light years to the Alpha Centuri system -our nearest neighbours - using an ion drive. At the moment the chance of life forms coming into contact is pretty remote given the likelihood of other life forms existing in the same galaxy being near to each other.
There will come a time, and it's not too far away, when we will discover other means of travel which will eliminate the need to strap yourself in a rocket and blast yourself across space. It might already have been discovered.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2015, 01:10 PM

If other life forms came here, you can bet your bottom dollar we would soon be infected with a "Virus".
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2015, 02:28 PM

Well I've got my own theory about this sort of thing Bob, and I'll try to explain a bit, though it's difficult because it's only in my head.
I think everything evolves and revolves. I think that what has happened in the past, will recur, it will all come round again - Ice ages, Noah's floods etc. The floods would naturally follow an Ice age after a gigantic thaw anyway.
I believe very sick places on earth, need to sterilized eventually, wiped out by heat,cold,or flood, much like when our farmers used to be allowed to burn the stubble fields to destroy disease, but on a vast scale. Land will be cleansed by washing, freezing, heat, or a mammoth explosion.
We look at other planets now and say - oh, there can be no life there, but I think that is only because it is going through a process of sterilization and eventually, life will begin again there, when the process is complete.
At the moment, this planet is 'in favour', and so it is lush and green and lived on, but back at the start of life here, we had already been through our sterilizing, and so life was gradually introduced again. BUT, if we continue to have more and more atrocities, wars, and badness happening here, the feelings it creates, is being absorbed into everything here , eg. the soil, buildings, even the food we eat, and this 'pollution' to our green and pleasant land will be the end of us.
One day, we will have polluted so much of our planet, we will be plunged into sterilization again, and everything wiped out.
By then, life from other planets will one day discover us, and shake their heads and say " No life is possible on that planet", and it will go full circle again. The planets which are at the moment 'out of action' will be brought back to life. We all take turns at life and existence, and need to stop messing it up - we are our own worst enemy.

(You can't have me certified, cos I won't open the door).
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

10-01-2015, 02:39 PM

That really is an interesting theory and one that could apply to us but do you thing that other places in the universe might be out of phase with us and they are either further ahead or behind our state of evolution.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2015, 02:51 PM

I don't know what you mean by 'out of phase,' Bob?
I reckon he whole sequence keeps going round and round forever, in the hope that one day, far, far into the future, we will learn to treasure our planet and all life forms, and only then will we be allowed to keep it.
Bit like reincarnation. We must keep coming back to learn from, and put right, the mistakes we made previously.
It's supposed to be impossible to destroy life completely, it just takes on a different form. Bit like water seems to disappear, but it only turns to cloud or steam and condensation instead, then comes back somewhere else as water again.

Getting back to the planets though, perhaps they all had life forms on them once, and will do again, when it's their turn.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top