Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 10:45 AM

Re: A car?

My father also owned a Super Minx at one time and I nicked it one night with a mate of mine when he was away for the night. I knew nothing at all about cars (or driving for that matter) and took it through the lanes close to my house. Luckily there wasn't any traffic at all to cope with. Thinking my father would find out I had been using it I filled it up with 'stuff' I found in a can in the boot thinking it was petrol. The car conked out when my father used it as I had filled it up with anti-freeze!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 10:47 AM

I have a Toyota Avensis Estate as my runabout, great cars, you can tell because every other Taxi is one, the trick is to find one that has been in private ownership, low miles with service history.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I have a Toyota Avensis Estate as my runabout, great cars, you can tell because every other Taxi is one, the trick is to find one that has been in private ownership, low miles with service history.
That is a fine car and it has crossed my mind.

My mate keeps going on about the BMW engine fitted to the Rover 75 as he reckons it is a marvelous engine. I've been looking at the Rover 75 Tourers and they sure are beautiful looking cars, very cheap low mileage diesels about too: you can get a cracker for around 2 grand!

Look at what you can get for very low dosh!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Rover-MG-/...&LH_PrefLoc=98

Other than the above he goes on about the BMW 330d Tourers.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 11:02 AM

Parts for Rover will be harder to get now it has been out of production for many years . There are more things to consider on a car than just the engine. Who wants to buy a 13 year old car with well worn parts on it and goodness knows how many owners
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

20-05-2015, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Parts for Rover will be harder to get now it has been out of production for many years . There are more things to consider on a car than just the engine.
Yeah but you have the scrap yards and my mate lives in one .
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 11:09 AM

MKJ

your choice but I still urge you to take a look at the nissan qashqai anway.

Before I bought my xtrail I asked several owners of the nissan qashqai doing a lot of research which I always do anyway I did not hear of a single complaint against them.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 11:17 AM

I'm going to try an Audi A4 Avant, as my next workhorse.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

20-05-2015, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
MKJ

your choice but I still urge you to take a look at the nissan qashqai anway.

Before I bought my xtrail I asked several owners of the nissan qashqai doing a lot of research which I always do anyway I did not hear of a single complaint against them.
Interesting choice and good cheap ones are about. Will keep it in mind.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

20-05-2015, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I'm going to try an Audi A4 Avant, as my next workhorse.
I've been looking at them but some repair bills are astronomical and I can't see me finding that many spare parts in scrap yards either .

Gearbox problems can cost a lot to fix.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

20-05-2015, 11:34 AM

TBH, I usually buy work cars with about 60,000 miles on the clock, FSH by the supplying dealer, who I call to validate the history, then I run them into the ground, as such, I never get stuff like transmission problems or the like, at around 120,000 miles when these problems tend to start, they are ready for the scrapheap anyway.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top