Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Swannie148
Sydney, Australia
Swannie148 is male 

09-06-2020, 09:24 PM

Good Morning Wednesday

I know it is still Tuesday in UK but is 6am on Wednesday now in the Harbor City. It is a cool 12c (53f) but sunny. Why am I awake so early.. in a word insomnia. I have suffered this sleeping curse most of my adult life. Sometimes I wake at 3 in the morning and unable to return to sleep. Anyone else have insomnia?
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2020, 09:33 PM

Re: Good Morning Wednesday

Originally Posted by Swannie148 ->
I know it is still Tuesday in UK but is 6am on Wednesday now in the Harbor City. It is a cool 12c (53f) but sunny. Why am I awake so early.. in a word insomnia. I have suffered this sleeping curse most of my adult life. Sometimes I wake at 3 in the morning and unable to return to sleep. Anyone else have insomnia?
Good morning to you Swannie! Sorry you can't sleep.
I don't suffer with insomnia.
Not sure being online will make you sleepy... have you got a book to read instead? How about making a brew take it back to bed and read. Rest your mind, let the words of the book eventually roll into one...... snuggle down and zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2020, 09:41 PM

Hi Swannie. Sorry you suffer as you do, have you tried pills for it? Maybe you don't want to though?
I can't get always get to sleep at night, but I do sleep once I'm off, only to wake 4 hours or so later, needing a wee usually, but I can get back to sleep again, only to wake late morning. Good job I am retired.

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Not sure being online will make you sleepy... have you got a book to read instead? How about making a brew take it back to bed and read. Rest your mind, let the words of the book eventually roll into one...... snuggle down and zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Not as easy as that Pesta, I know & no I wont take pills either.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2020, 09:53 PM

I have sleeping problems, mine are not exactly insomnia and could be termed as worse. My work for over 25 years was on permanent night shifts and as a result of this my 'circadian rhythm' (body clock) no longer works as it should. It's not as bad as it once was but without that regulation of a body clock my system doesn't know when to sleep and when to be awake. All I do is to let my body dictate when to wake and when to sleep, that way I can still function but often not very well in the mornings. There it is though, with hindsight I wouldn't do those shifts again, but it suited me at the time for many reasons.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2020, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Hi Swannie. Sorry you suffer as you do, have you tried pills for it? Maybe you don't want to though?
I can't get always get to sleep at night, but I do sleep once I'm off, only to wake 4 hours or so later, needing a wee usually, but I can get back to sleep again, only to wake late morning. Good job I am retired.

Yes, I realise that Tiff, not making light of it. TBH I have, when stressed or worried about something, not been able to drift off.
On those occasions I seem to be able to train my mind (eventually) to drift away. I conjure up and 'see' a black square and concentrate on it deeply, trying to see into it. Daft I know, but it works.

Then if I waken early in the night (usually the same time which is about 3ish). On those occasions, living alone, it makes me feel more alone. Horrid. So I make a brew and get the book out. Maybe an hour later I start to drift and hey presto, the snoring starts
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2020, 11:40 PM

Yes, I realise that Tiff, not making light of it. TBH I have, when stressed or worried about something, not been able to drift off.
On those occasions I seem to be able to train my mind (eventually) to drift away. I conjure up and 'see' a black square and concentrate on it deeply, trying to see into it. Daft I know, but it works.

Then if I waken early in the night (usually the same time which is about 3ish). On those occasions, living alone, it makes me feel more alone. Horrid. So I make a brew and get the book out. Maybe an hour later I start to drift and hey presto, the snoring starts
At night to drift off, I imagine a wall with either even or uneven bricks or stones, it helps sometimes. I don't have a problem going back to sleep if I wake.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2020, 11:43 PM

Good advice Pesta.
Well it works for me anyway. Reading knocks me out pretty quick.

Good morning Wednesday - when it arrives that is.
Swannie148
Sydney, Australia
Swannie148 is male 

09-06-2020, 11:48 PM

Your advice is most grateful Pesta.
Swannie148
Sydney, Australia
Swannie148 is male 

09-06-2020, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I have sleeping problems, mine are not exactly insomnia and could be termed as worse. My work for over 25 years was on permanent night shifts and as a result of this my 'circadian rhythm' (body clock) no longer works as it should. It's not as bad as it once was but without that regulation of a body clock my system doesn't know when to sleep and when to be awake. All I do is to let my body dictate when to wake and when to sleep, that way I can still function but often not very well in the mornings. There it is though, with hindsight I wouldn't do those shifts again, but it suited me at the time for many reasons.
Baz my insomnia used to be worse before I had a UPP (laser surgery) to remove throat fatty tissue which obstructed my breathing while asleep (apnoea). It was not uncommon for me to wake a dozen times during my supposed sleeping hours.
Swannie148
Sydney, Australia
Swannie148 is male 

10-06-2020, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->

Tiffany I do take herbal sleep supplements as a rule but sometimes I am forced to take a mild sedative which works fast. I find listening to soothing music occasionally works for me. In the bad old days I was known to remain awake until dawn. I find there is nothing worse than laying in bed for hours trying to coax yourself to sleep.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top