Join for free
Page 4 of 79 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 > Last »
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2011, 09:01 PM

Re: Merged Facebook threads.

I've tried facebook. Nearly everyone I know is on, but I find it complicated and I don't really know why but I feel I can't trust it. Perhaps it is just me.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2011, 10:00 PM

I was on it, found it confusing, difficult to navigate and not especially friendly; finally managed to cancel my account and never regretted it. I do think it tends to skew young.
Ella
New Member!
western europe
Ella is female 

05-03-2011, 10:19 PM

oh, wow allot of information.

i know alot of young ppl use it and that is one of the reasons why i do want to see whats going on there.

i'll try to give it shot maybe on of my kids will be kind enough to lend me a few moments for help ...
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2011, 10:32 PM

Have been on Facebook....only went on to chat to my Niece in Germany-much cheaper than ringing her-now have free telephone calls within my phone package. My Nieces and Nephew go on all the time....certainly don't want to know what they're up to on it, so avoid it now....
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Ella ->
I know a lot of young ppl use it and that is one of the reasons why I do want to see whats going on there.
Ella, surely that is one of the best reasons for not using it

Seriously, be very careful, it is difficult to set up, the management even went on TV recently and admitted that.

Here's some of the dangers:-
a) If you don't configure your profile correctly you could end up with messages like "Hi my name is Osama bin Laden and I want to be your friend"
b) If you send out an invite to only your friends you may end up with 2000 people outside your front door (This has actually happened)
c) The network is infected with viruses, again management has sort of accepted that but won't publicly admit it
d) Because 60 million people use it does not mean they are all intelligent
e) There is no way you can contact the management, they hide behind the network, you can't ring them, or write to them (Because no one knows their postal address) all you can do is communicate via their network and if you're lucky you'll get an annomyous (Sp?) reply, or at best a first name only reply which will fob you off.

And at the end of the day what's the point of having 173 friends (As Plantmans niece has) you can't possibly remember all of them, contacts would be a much better word.

Also, I wouldn't want all my contacts to know everything I'm doing, they all have different interests and I wouldn't be so arrogant to assume that theyall wanted to know what I was doing and when.

Can you tell I'm not a fan
Ella
New Member!
western europe
Ella is female 

06-03-2011, 12:13 PM

oh yea, you are NOT a fan

i have to think about it. i guess i'll give it a try.
the points you have are important and are something to take to consideration.
the thing is that other ppl who are big fans of FB gave me a very big list of - why its so good . . .

i think i'll try to experience it from my own point of view.

the battle of the FB .. hahaha...

i'll let you know if its or or it might be

have a beautiful Sunday everyone
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2011, 01:23 PM

I went on it basically to put photos and messages to family and a few friends. Its a good way to keep in touch with them. I do think that the younger ones appreciate more than us oldies. Some of them, my daughter included, have literally hundreds of friends listed. Some people put on the most mundane trivia, like on twitter, and to be honest, apart from the odd visit, I don't find it that interesting.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2011, 02:24 PM

I found myself getting angry all the time because of some of my younger relatives. Young folk are so stupid sometimes it amazes me they remember to breathe. I decided to rather quit Facebook and stay in the dark than add stress to my life. Besides, they have my email address and nobody writes. What does that tell you?
Manxman
Manchester, UK
Manxman is male  Manxman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2011, 02:46 PM

Ella

I have used Facebook for some time now, we are talking years.

Must agree at first it takes a while to get your privacy settings right and I personally never except applications to join games, horoscopes and the such. Anything that is not Facebook fully controlled I avoid as I do not give my data to others without knowing who they are and what they use it for. (I will add a footnote about who uses your information in other ways).

Why do I use Facebook, although in my life I have spent years employed to very few firms, I average about 15+ years per job and at this time is the longest time I have been away from work, the company I work for are holding my job open until I comeback or pass on and they really do support me.

Most of the Companies are large, Virgin Media, O2 The Listening Company, Family business ECT.

So I have gathered a lot of friends, around 570+ all of which I know personally.

Recently, I contacted some friends from Primary School and we, organised a get together, which was so good, we are doing it again and finding more School Friends to invite and be in contact with.

Friends from other area's, We all stay in touch, sometime just indicating you like what they are announcing like a new birth, party, pop round for a cup of tea.

I have friends that have moved to other countries, New Zealand, Philippines, Australia, USA, Spain, Croatia, Africa, St. Lucia and more. I often use the Facebook mail to send messages.

The footnote. Do you use a plastic card, debit/credit, Tesco Club Card, They track you, study your eating plans, know where you shop ECT.

Mobile phones, as long as you have a SIM card and Batteries in the hand set including if you turn it off, you can be tracked to within a few meters. This is very useful at times, say you feel very unwell call 999 and if you do not know where you are, or if you collapse they can find you in a few seconds and direct emergency services to your aid. There are also downside to this try reading up on them, on the web.

Hope this helps.

Adrian.
Ella
New Member!
western europe
Ella is female 

06-03-2011, 04:48 PM

Thank you Adrian ,

actually those are the main reasons why i do want to join fabebook.

alot of my relatives are on facebook and bugging me to join.
it seems like a very comfortable way to stay in touch with people from all over the world (which i do know).

like i said i'll give it a try. i'll go slowly. i do want my privacy settings to be private. i'll have to learn how to do all of that.

thanx for sharing your own experience and point of view

i'll keep you up to date

cheers.

Ella.

Page 4 of 79 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top