Join for free
Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2016, 12:27 PM

Re: Are you OCD?

I would've said I wasn't OCD until I read this thread!
I do wash my hands a lot but I blame this on the Polio scare when I was a child. I wash my hands after I have touched anything the public have touched ie. Shopping trolleys, hand rails, money, cash machines, library books, door handles, toilets etc. I think this is why I rarely catch colds!!
I do double check doors are locked and appliances are switched off before I go out and when I go to bed.
I associate OCD with people who cannot bear to see things out of line or out of place. I knew a little boy who went paranoid if the spout of the tea pot on the table was not facing the right way!
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2016, 01:16 PM

Nobody could accuse me of being OCD I'm pleased to say.
I do feel sorry for people who are though. I know they can't help it!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2016, 01:23 PM

A friend we came across in the supermarket looked at our shopping trolley (one of the smaller ones), pointed at me and said "OCD". This was because everything in the trolley was neatly stacked starting from the back. Completely empty space at the front for further items. I only put things further forward when nothing else will fit on the stack at the back. Seems OK to me.

I can't be happy about the car and house being locked and secured without going around and checking everything a few times, even though I know it's just been done.

I'm tidy about the house. Beds properly made without wrinkles and the quilt patterns straight. Papers are put away or straightened up etc. My wife says I'm very tidy but often don't see grime.

I don't know if these things could be termed OCD.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2016, 02:32 PM

I like things neat and tidy and filed away but a little bit of dust doesn't bother me too much.
I have a colleague like Cass's husband but she is the one who is always ill !!!
As a child I always thought inanimate objects had feelings too. I also have to empty every bean from the tin because I still think the left bean will be lonely!!! I think nothing of chomping through the lot of them on a slice of toast afterwards though!!!
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2016, 03:05 PM

I can't stand it when someone puts a condiment back into the refrigerator with its label facing the other direction.

Can't stand anything on my windshield, not even a drop of water. Anytime I clean my windshield with the blades and the washer fluid, I have to keep swiping until every drop and streak of water is cleared off. And don't even get me started about how nervous it makes me to get into someone else's car and their windshield has dirt or bird poo or splattered bugs all over it. That drives me insane and I don't know how they stand it.

I'm sure there are more, I just can't think of them right now.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2016, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
I like things neat and tidy and filed away but a little bit of dust doesn't bother me too much.
I have a colleague like Cass's husband but she is the one who is always ill!?I
I can count the days illnesses I've had in my whole working life on one hand, I think I have antibodies on my antibodies!
As a child I always thought inanimate objects had feelings too.
I also have to empty every bean from the tin because I still think the left bean will be lonely!!!
I think nothing of chomping through the lot of them on a slice of toast afterwards though!!!
I'm just like that Rhian

I don't think I'm OCD, but I do have my quirks and like things neat and tidy. Always wash my hands when I come in and I'm always on at my daughter for that. She's the opposite. Never washes her hands when she comes in...even touches food without washing her hands! When she's gone, I have to go round wiping the door handles and taps

Many years ago, I knew a chap who never washed his hands after a poo. He wondered why his son was always ill. Gross

And every day without fail, I HAVE to take my quilt off the bed as soon as I get up and drape it on an airer for at least 2 hrs. Then it can go back on the bed, and the bottom sheet just HAS to absolutely straight without a line or crease in it
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2016, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
I also have to empty every bean from the tin because I still think the left bean will be lonely!!! I think nothing of chomping through the lot of them on a slice of toast afterwards though!!!
That is exactly how I think, about the beans.

How strange.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2016, 04:15 PM

Speaking with a hat I have not worn for years(yes some fool awarded me a PhD) I would say that the odd habit/ritual is no big deal. OCD is when those rituals take over one`s life.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2016, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I'm fussy - not sure that's OCD - could be
There is a difference Patsy...we can all be 'fussy or meticulous about things....it’s normal to go back and double-check that the iron is unplugged or your car is locked, but if you suffer from obsessive-compulsive disorder, obsessive thoughts and compulsive behaviors become so excessive they interfere with your daily life.

Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder characterized by uncontrollable, unwanted thoughts and repetitive, ritualized behaviors you feel compelled to perform.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2016, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
There is a difference Patsy...we can all be 'fussy or meticulous about things....it’s normal to go back and double-check that the iron is unplugged or your car is locked, but if you suffer from obsessive-compulsive disorder, obsessive thoughts and compulsive behaviors become so excessive they interfere with your daily life.

Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder characterized by uncontrollable, unwanted thoughts and repetitive, ritualized behaviors you feel compelled to perform.
I agree-well put

Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top