Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 11:19 AM

Jobs you've had

I'm being curious or is it nosey

It used to be you could walk out of one job straight into another so:

How many jobs have you had over the years?

What was the longest?

What was the shortest?

What was the most fulfilling?

Or did you stay in your chosen profession until retirement?

And lastly, has anyone done any way out jobs, you know like singing telegrams?
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 11:45 AM

Re: Jobs you've had

Thankfully my job experience has always been the same. Been with the same company now for the past 30 years.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 11:56 AM

Thanks for your reply Roodie. I forgot that some members still work
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 12:09 PM

When I finished my education, my first job was in a news agency in Fleet St, In the photographic department.
I then went to another photographic job in Russel Square doing mostly colour work. I only stayed there a couple of months as I had an argument over promised wages rise.
I could not find any more jobs in the photo trade, as I was due to do my national service shortly. So I worked localy in a carpet and Lino shop. On the day of my 18th birthday I went and registered for early call up.
After I done my 2 years, I had 13 different jobs until I went on the knowledge to become a London taxi driver.
Did that for 45 years.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	905  
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 12:11 PM

How long have you got

I have done many things over the years to keep a roof over my head and my head above water

Trained Kennel Maid dog trimmer /trainer/handler.
Kennel Manager
Nanny
Restaurant manager
Cook for the council
Tenant of an Inn (tied house)
Care Line operator (monitoring emergency calls and testing systems)
Night Auxiliary Nurse
Matron in a boarding school

The longest post was my last one, 15 years in a boarding school although for 30 years I returned occasionally to help one of my original employers with her dogs .
All were 'rewarding' because they involved caring/looking after living things in one way or another
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 12:21 PM

I’ve never considered jewellery making work so I’ve stayed in the same trade since I was 14, same job lots of different firms over the years and ended up working for meself, I still dabble in it and still enjoy it.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 12:36 PM

My first job on leaving school was as a sewing machinist at the factory that made the (then) famous brand Viyella shirts. Men if you ever had a Viyella shirt it was probably me who stitched the collar on. I remained in similar work until I got married and then did a bit of part time shop work amongst other things.

We bought our own shop when we were in our late 20's and built it up into a good little business selling menswear, womenswear & childswear - anything from a babies nappy to a mans 70" chest jacket.

We remained with it until we retired and still live on the premises but we sold half of it to our son to turn into flats and the other half has made us an extra room.
graculus
Yorkshire
graculus is male  graculus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 12:52 PM

1. Stacking shelves in Woolworths.
2. Washing dishes in Lake District cafes.
3. Actor and puppet maker (theatre in Education).
3. Factory worker (card factory).
4. Adult literacy and numeracy tutor.
5. Primary teacher.
6. Graphic designer,
7. Retired and now in museum (as volunteer not exhibit!)
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 02:12 PM

Apprentice Electrical Engineer - didn't finish
Lifeguard on and off over the years - last time when I was 40
Dump truck driver - Euclid - with my father
Taxi driver
Trainee Psychiatric Nurse - nearly did my head in permanently. Had a nasty dream about picking up a patient whose brains were slipping through my fingers - not a good sign - left before I lost it entirely.
Sticking shelves - one week
Flogging double glazing - 2 weeks
Fixing fork lift trucks with my cousin
Car valeting
Computer repairs
Ran a computer shop
Website designer - last 5 years.
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 02:19 PM

I left school on the Friday, and joined the RAF the next Monday for twelve years.
I finished with the RAF on a Friday, and went to work for the AA the next Monday. I stayed there for 26 years until my medical retirement.

Until I was ill for the last time, I had never had a day off work for sickness or skiving. I was proud of that.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top